Time Saving Kong Ideas

Thread: Time Saving Kong Ideas

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultTime Saving Kong Ideas

I was pureeing carrots, bananas, green beans, and stuffing them inside my pup's Kongs. But lately I have been stuffing her Kong's with Gerber Organic baby food. I buy the organic because it does not have any onion powder in it. I usually buy her green beans, carrots, sweet potato, and sometimes banana. Stuff some in the Kong, freeze it, and it makes a great treat! She loves them! I make sure that the only ingredients in the baby food are the vegetables..........for instance, Gerber Organic green beans is green beans and water. I asked the vet if this was okay for her to have and she said it was fine as long as it doesn't have all the added bad stuff, like onion powder, etc. It saves a lot of time not having to cut up the veggies, plop them in the blender, and all that. Plus, I save the containers and use them for when I need to bring in a urine sample or dog poop sample to the vet. My pup still gets raw vegetables now and then as treats, but for a treat that will last a while, this has been working out nicely for both of us!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

baboyako is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Time Saving Kong Ideas

i discovered how to stuff the kong: use kibble! then plug an old tied up sock on one end with a piece dangling out. my lab went nuts trying to figure out how to get his meal! he finally got it though. clever doggie 8)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula
    I was pureeing carrots, bananas, green beans, and stuffing them inside my pup's Kongs. But lately I have been stuffing her Kong's with Gerber Organic baby food. I buy the organic because it does not have any onion powder in it. I usually buy her green beans, carrots, sweet potato, and sometimes banana. Stuff some in the Kong, freeze it, and it makes a great treat! She loves them! I make sure that the only ingredients in the baby food are the vegetables..........for instance, Gerber Organic green beans is green beans and water. I asked the vet if this was okay for her to have and she said it was fine as long as it doesn't have all the added bad stuff, like onion powder, etc. It saves a lot of time not having to cut up the veggies, plop them in the blender, and all that. Plus, I save the containers and use them for when I need to bring in a urine sample or dog poop sample to the vet. My pup still gets raw vegetables now and then as treats, but for a treat that will last a while, this has been working out nicely for both of us!
    Is the baby food really messy when it melts? Baloo still hasn't figured out how to completely empty the kong.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Well it's a little messy, but I just put an old beach towel down. Not a big deal. She's so cute when she eats these; she holds the Kong between her paws and licks it like an ice cream cone! I usually toss in a little bit of kibble at the bottom before adding the pureed veggies so when she gets through all the melted veggies, there is another special treat she has to work at getting out.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako
    i discovered how to stuff the kong: use kibble! then plug an old tied up sock on one end with a piece dangling out. my lab went nuts trying to figure out how to get his meal! he finally got it though. clever doggie 8)
    Using an old sock is probably not the best idea - there are tons of labs who eat socks on a regular basis and frankly, the risk of obstruction isn't worth it.

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

clelong is offline Junior Member

We use either kibble or treats, some carrots, then fill with peanut butter or sometimes yogurt and freeze. Jack eats get it all before it melts.
    He has a thing for killing towels....if we put a towel down on the floor we wouldn't get it back and he'd forget about the Kong.
    I tried one of the Kong Ziggies the other day that came free when we bought the new Kong.....it was done in about 2 minutes.

Gotta Granddogger is offline Junior Member

DefaultWET the kibble Time Saving Kong Ideas

We plug the small opening with canned dog food, pour a gravy style kibble DRY into the Kong, then fill the spaces with water. The water freezes very solid, and our dog gets quite a workout chewing on it until the entire thing thaws. I give it to him in the kennel/crate, so the mess is not an issue. I would hesitate to give it to him on the carpet, but I'm sure he could keep a kitchen vinyl floor licked clean. Cheap and easy. Keep two, one to stay in the crate, and one to be in the freezer at all times. If I forget to freeze one, I just swab the insides with peanut butter. I think the 1/2 to 3/4 cup of peanut butter that it takes to FILL the largest Kong would be too much for any dog, not to mention the daily expense.

jlab Guest

What about stuffing kongs with raw ground beef, pork or lamb and then freezing them. My guys love these and it keeps them busy for hours.