Grabby pup

Thread: Grabby pup

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrabby pup

Sarah likes to get a bit grabby when she's getting a treat. I keep the treat in my hand, closed fist, and tell her "easy" in a low voice. I'll usually make her wait until she calms down a bit then try and give it to her, while slowly opening up my hand. I know it will take her a while to catch on. Is there anything else I should be doing? Madison has always been very gentle and almost delicate about taking a treat. It's almost as if Sarah is afraid she's not going to get one. She'll even do this after she's eaten... at first I thought maybe it was because she was hungry. But have realized that's not the case.

Am I on the right track or is there something else to try?

Also, I don't give full treats. I break up the puppy biscuits into small pieces, I did also buy some jerky type stuff that I've cut into small pieces or I'll just use their kibble as reward.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Grabby pup

my moms dog was real bad about that. now this might sound a little unorthodox but it worked with him. While I did just what you are doing, closed fist and saying "easy" or "gentle" in a soft voice before giving him a treat, I would also gently grab his scruff, keeping him from lunging at the treat and keep his head steady. that allowed me to feed him the treat instead of him "taking" the treat from me. I did this consistantly until I didnt need to hold his scruff anymore. He got the hint that I will give him the treat and he didnt need to take it from me.

hope it works for you.. just remember to be consistant
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitelab21
    I would also gently grab his scruff, keeping him from lunging at the treat and keep his head steady. that allowed me to feed him the treat instead of him "taking" the treat from me. I did this consistantly until I didnt need to hold his scruff anymore. He got the hint that I will give him the treat and he didnt need to take it from me.
    I've actually done that with Sarah a few times, but only when she's a bit overly eager to grab at my hand. I do that and just keep telling her "easy". Madison always looks at Sarah with the "what'd you that for?" look.
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

The method I used with my pups was to have them on leash, get a handful of treats and have them sit. Drop the leash and put your foot on it right where it meets the floor. Give the pup the command "easy" as you slowly reach toward her with the treat. If she jumps, she'll be corrected by the leash as soon as her feet leave the floor. Also, as soon as she tries jumping, withdraw your hand. Try again. ;D