Puppy acting up

Thread: Puppy acting up

dezicartel is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy acting up

Rambo, has been an angel from when he got home (7 weeks) to now, (13 weeks). But recently he has been acting up alot, prouncing around in front of you when you call him, not listening to commands, directly disobeying by running away with my shoes, and having me chase him down....is this normal behavior? Is he going through his teenage years? How should I approach it?

Side note:

I am also having difficulty teachihng him DROP it, once its already in his mouth, and he is HELL when trying to leash him. Any suggestions on drop it, and getting the leash on him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy acting up

How do you approach it? with patience and a lot of it. Put it this way...my 4 year old dog flat out refused to come on this afternoons walk while I was screaming my lungs out & he was farting around sniffing and being an idiot. No amount of training will ever make your dog 100%. My advice? continue training, playing, exercising and building your relationship. Don't be afraid to correct your dog but also, don't forget to have a laugh...they don't remain puppies for nearly long enough.

regarese is offline Senior Member

Listen to Trickster-she probably gives some of the best advice on here. Our puppy is 4 months old now so I feel your pain. LOL. Do you use treats when your teaching your commands? For drop it, we've had success with using the treat to entice the drop-let her see it, firmly say "DROP IT", when she does give the treat and praise with "GOOD DROP". Repeat OFTEN. LOL. You may want to try teaching "LEAVE IT". Same concept with the treat-and it's just a little piece of a treat not the whole milkbone-as soon as you see the puppy's attention is caught by something he's not supposed to have, get the treat under his nose and move it away saying "LEAVE IT", give him the treat when he leaves it and pick up what he's not supposed to have. The way we were taught it was that you want to make the "LEAVE IT" worth more than whatever he is interested in. Good Luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kpowell is offline Senior Member

Sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. He's still a baby, so think of him learning like you would if you were trying to teach a 2 year old something. They can learn, but should be taught in the spirit of love and understanding, making a game of things. When he gets about 6 months old he'll suddenly seem a lot smarter!
    Jack's Mom

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    directly disobeying by running away with my shoes, and having me chase him down....
    Chasing him is a sure way to make the problem worse. He'll think it's a game - you're rewarding his behaviour. Try running in the other direction, act all excited to make him think he's missing out on a great time.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

13 wks??? Give me a break.... : The best thing you can do is to find a good puppy kindergarten class. They do not know what you have not taught (or iow, they don't come trained "out of the box"). This is the time you reflect on how you encourage a small child to read, etc. They will do so at their own pace, certainly force or negativity won't speed it up. Reward that good behavior now and ingrain the good habits that way. Your pup has no idea what Drop means, and if leash means something negative, I'd run the other way too! Think like a baby... how would YOU like to learn? Once they have mastered a particular task then it's okay to reinforce it, but not until then.
    -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

soulmindfist is offline Member

I'd start with basics, start with attention training, say your pups name when he is not looking at you, DO NOT REPEAT YOURSELF!, If Rambo looks at you when you say his name, reward him and give him a treat. If Rambo ignores you, touch him lightly near his back, when he turns around to see whats bugging him, smile and say "Good Rambo" give him a treat.
    Do this a about 12 time's a day for about a week, The thing here is to do this when he is not paying you any mind, he will eventually learn that when you say his name, he will be in for something good. Have patience and have fun and build off of it, at 13 weeks Jager (who has never been to kindergarden class) was able to learn basic commands. This is a important time for your pup, so make sure you give him all that u have .
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.