• puppies

0 0%
  • new puppies

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of crate for new puppy

chili is offline Junior Member

DefaultSize of crate for new puppy

I am getting a new lab puppy, my first but was wondering about what size crate i should get for him, will be recieving him mid june 8 weeks old. thanks any other info you have for new pups would helpful

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Size of crate for new puppy

i just got my puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago and i was wondering that same question. i bought the large size crate for large breeds at walmart.
    the size of the crate can be adjusted as your puppy grows from very small to full size. it cost $60.00 compared to $100.00 at petco or petsmart.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would get a large 42" one but then section half of it off. You could buy two -- one for puppyhood and one for adulthood -- but that would be more costly on your part.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KebMo Guest

I was lucky to get to "borrow" three different size crates -large, x-large, and xx-large.
    I have no idea what the true size is of each just that the xx-large one was used for a HUGE labordoodle.

For the last two weeks Keb has been using the smallest of the three (he's 15 weeks tomorrow and around 40lbs), in the last 2 weeks he grew a bit and when standing in his crate his back just about touches the top and his tail sticks out and makes a lovely toy for the kitten.

Last night I set up the middle size - it looks to be at least 3 to 3 1/2 feet high - I think it will last for at least 3 or 4 more months. He seems more restless in the middle size crate, very whiney at times (maybe too much room?!?)

chili is offline Junior Member

thanks for the info

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

I have 36' for my 2 yr female but like Trickster sais I would get 42' for a boy. I bought it on Ebay for $10 plus shipping - I was bidding. It is a great quality, you can fold it in no time, it has two doors which is handy when you want to use it in your car and it came with a divider. If you use divider you crate can grow with your puppy. Let me know if you want link to that ebay site. I got my playpen from there as well.
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

Indiana is offline Senior Member

I got the biggest one that Midwest makes, 48" I think. Bought mine from Dr. Foster and Smith. It came with a divider panel so that we could always make sure it was exactly the right size for him. It's worked out very well. It folds up easily for carrying too.
    <br />http://picasaweb.google.com/IndyandFriends/Indy<br /><br /><br />

KebMo Guest

Look at those eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana
    I got the biggest one that Midwest makes, 48" I think. Bought mine from Dr. Foster and Smith. It came with a divider panel so that we could always make sure it was exactly the right size for him. It's worked out very well. It folds up easily for carrying too.

Indiana is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KebMo
    Look at those eyes!!
    He's a yellow lab with chocolate pigmentation. This can happen when the yellow puppy has a chocolate ancestor somewhere. The breed standard strives for yellow labs with black pigmentation, meaning he should have brown eyes and a black nose and paw pads. He won't win in the show ring, but he melts my heart when I look at him His eyes still appear green in some light, but for the most part they are whiskey colored. Some yellows are also born without pigmentation (their nose and pads are pink and eyes are very light) but that's a long story for another thread.
    <br />http://picasaweb.google.com/IndyandFriends/Indy<br /><br /><br />

KebMo Guest

He's just as handsome as can be - eyes and all!

I read up on the standard when I found my pup (found him in a shelter & he's my first lab ) - but never saw those color eyes on any lab!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast