What Length of Leash for Puppy While in House

Thread: What Length of Leash for Puppy While in House

alliesmom is offline Member

DefaultWhat Length of Leash for Puppy While in House

I've seen a lot of pictures with young puppies in their crates and in their homes sleeping and out and about one their leashes (leads?).

What length should I be using for Ranger when he comes home?

Also, is rolled leather really the best? I read or saw somewhere that leather was the best material because it doesn't burn hands and lasts longer?

A leash is the only thing I haven't bought...except maybe an additional toy or two. And the ticker is ticking! ;D

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Linda

This is NOT a Big Mac. Where's that !*$ Clown!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deezeldog Guest

DefaultRe: What Length of Leash for Puppy While in House

Quote Originally Posted by alliesmom
    I've seen a lot of pictures with young puppies in their crates and in their homes sleeping and out and about one their leashes (leads?).

What length should I be using for Ranger when he comes home?

Also, is rolled leather really the best? I read or saw somewhere that leather was the best material because it doesn't burn hands and lasts longer?

A leash is the only thing I haven't bought...except maybe an additional toy or two. And the ticker is ticking! ;D

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    You will probably have need of a few different leashes in the first year. A leather leash is fine for an adult - but too heavy for a baby. A lighweight nylon leash that you can tie to your belt while loose in the house is fine for now. 4-6' at the most.

How old is the puppy now? It will be a while before you should be walking your puppy out in the world. 3 rounds of vaccinations first before risking exposure to deadly viruses that he could pick up on a walk in your neighborhood or park.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. You will need a selection of different leashes.

If you need to leash the puppy in the house, I prefer nylon. If you want to have him drag it around, buy a cheap, thin material 6ft nylon leash and cut the handle off. If you leave the handle on both you, your family and the puppy could trip over it.

When he is ready for walks I also prefer a light nylon leash. Get the cheap ones because you will go through several. Then when he is grown and mature you can splash out on a fancy leather leash if you like although I personally still use nylon -- easy to wash, cheap, easily replaceable, easily fit in your pockets or loop around your neck.

You also want a nylon collar. A growing puppy will get through many collars between puppy and adulthood.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nala Daddy is offline Senior Member

When we first brought Nala home we got her a 3/4 inch nylon leash for her to use since we figured she would grow so quickly she would grow into it in no time unfortunately the clasp was too heavy for her and was weighing her little neck down so we got her a tiny little nylon leash till she got a little bigger. She is now on her bigger nylon but she is not big enough yet for a leather one.
    Kyle

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I have so many leash sizes now, but for starters I would go with a 4 foot long but nothing too heavy.
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull