Scout is so bitey

Thread: Scout is so bitey

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultScout is so bitey

My puppy Scout is so cute and loveable but he is also a very bitey pup. I know biting is normal for a puppy but he seems to do it a lot. If I don't have a chew toy available and sometimes I don't he goes after my toes, my hands and my pants. When he bites he draws blood. When I walk he will chase after me and grab on to my pant leg or my shirt. I'm trying to do my best to make sure I have a chew toy available as an alternate but it is not always possible. Is this pretty normal or he is a bit excessive? Should I be doing something else? How long should I expect this phase to last.

Thank you,
    Debbie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty sure we have all dealt with this in one degree or another- some are worse then others, but scout sounds pretty normal! How old is he? I had lots of chew toys, everywhere, high pitched "no bites" frozen towels for teething, time and consistency will get you and him through it!! Good luck to you both! Di

Thanks Dipete. Scout is 9 weeks old and I remember my other lab was also bitey but it has been seven years so I forgot how much they bite and how much it hurts. I have been telling him no bite and sometimes in a very strong tone, but I was a little worried my tone was too aggressive so I try to say "no bite" calmly but I'm not always successful. I will remember to say it in a more shrill voice.

Debbie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Shrill voices usually make puppies even more crazed. Think like a dog. If Scout bit the pack leader, he'd get growled at and bit back. Growl out a "NO BITE!". A lower voice normally gets a puppy to listen better than a high pitched voice.

Laura

Ok, a growl like voice makes sense and I much prefer to speak in a low tone than a shrill tone shrill gets on my nerves so I can see how it would make the puppy a bit more crazed

Thank you,
    Debbie

sarah is offline Senior Member

yes a lower tone will be a better tool. I used to do a big "uugggghh" in a low tone (my version of a growl) and this worked for me a treat. If No Bite works for you in a low tone keep at it. And everything else Di said. Patience and Perserverance will be your friend, try to never get angry at puppy... Puppy is just learning about the world as best it knows how. You will do fine!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia