We got a new PUPPY!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got a new PUPPY!!!!!

ShadowDancin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe got a new PUPPY!!!!!

We got a new 9 week old black lab/rottweiler mix puppy yesterday.. (whaddya call those? A labweiller maybe?) Anyways my husband trained our other lab (A 3 year old chocolate) completely.. But I am the one who will be home with this new girl all of the time.. I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to cotty train, or teach her to stay in the yard or come and other general comands that she should know. And also any opinions on paper training first or just skipping the paper and teaching her to go outside.. I appreciate any comments.. Thank You! Oh and as soon as our camera is repaired I will post lots of pics of our newest little bundle of joy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mstiff is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: We got a new PUPPY!!!!!

What a cute girl!! I would suggest reading the best advice thread stickied at the top! It is full of great advice that has definitely helped us in our first week with our new boy!

As far as the paper training first, I tried that with my previous pup and it was a total disaster! With Riley we directed him outside from the beginning and it's worked wonderfully! Never had any #2 accidents inside and we're down to about 1-2/day pee accidents (which is him rushing to the back door and peeing before we make it there). I wouldn't bother with the papers!

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

What a cutie!!
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your new addition.

I agree with reading the 'Our Best Advice' thread. Lots of very useful information there. Also, search the forum inside out. If you have some time to spare, look back and read as many threads as you can.

I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to cotty train, or teach her to stay in the yard or come and other general comands that she should know. And also any opinions on paper training first or just skipping the paper and teaching her to go outside..
    The first step to successful potty training is using a crate. Have you got one? if not I suggest you go out and buy one ASAP as they are invaluable. They really speed up the process AND give you a piece of mind when you have to leave the puppy alone. Avoid puppy pads like the plague. They only confuse the puppy...you don't want her to think it is acceptable to pee or poop in the house.

I prefer to keep the puppy on a strict routine until they are housetrained. So it is either in the crate, out in the backyard or loose under your 100% supervision. This routine minimizes accidents.

I have been reading in the puppy training sticky and there is lots of good advise in there.. And thank you guys for your input. I have gotten her a crate and tried keeping her in there the last 2 nights but she cries all night long and then when she comes out she is shaking like a leaf so bad she can barely walk. You dont think that she is too young to be put in a crate? It seems to scare her to death...

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have gotten her a crate and tried keeping her in there the last 2 nights but she cries all night long and then when she comes out she is shaking like a leaf so bad she can barely walk. You dont think that she is too young to be put in a crate? It seems to scare her to death...
    The crying at night is totally normal. We got a new kitten (not a puppy!) nearly 4 weeks ago and only now has she just stopped crying at night. Unfortunately in this case it is always cruel to be kind -- ignoring is the best policy. Every single time you acknowledge her crying you are reinforcing that behavior and actually making it worse. These pups ain't stupid. As soon as they realise that barking/crying gets them what they want (attention) they won't stop until the cows come home.

She is definitely not too young to be crated. Most people who use them crate from day 1.

Remember that the crate is VERY new to her. She has been stripped away from her mother and littermates (up until you got her, that was the only thing she knew) and placed 'behind bars'. Of course she is going to make a fuss. But if are persist and don't give in, she will adjust with time as every other puppy does eventually. They may act like being crated is the end of the world but, with a bit of work on your part, she will quickly learn to love it. To help speed up this process, start feeding her meals in there. Giving her a tasty stuffed Kong? in the crate. Funky new chew toy? in the crate. Yummy new batch of treats? give her one in the crate. You can also pop her in there for short intervals during the day. Then the crate doesn't become the "dreaded thing I have to go in at night" but the "nice place where I get to relax and eat yummy stuff".

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the Rottador!!!!! they are the best mix mutt ever...but I am a little biased. :P

Paper training is a mess...I think it is so much easier just to start on grass from the get go. Good luck!!!
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks guys .. She had an awesome night in her crate last night. My husband left a light on for her all night and faced her crate towards "breed"s so they could see each other and she didnt cry once all night. Perhaps she is just afraid of the dark I am coming to agree with you guys that paper training would have been a waste ... She has found herself a "potty spot" outside and uses it like a good girl .. Oh and I didnt know they were called "rottadors" I LOVE IT! very cute. And that pic of that rottie is GORGEOUS Canula Is that a full Rott or a "rottador" of your own?

CenTexLabs is offline Senior Member

We saw a Rottie/Lab mix the other day. His parents called him a Rotten Lab... LOL. Such a cutie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast