How can I teach him to come down stairs?

Thread: How can I teach him to come down stairs?

maedi is offline Member

DefaultHow can I teach him to come down stairs?

Doolie is about 3 months old now and pushing 20 pounds. I always have to carry him down the stairs, because he just plants his but and digs in the feet. He has never fallen down the stairs, and will go up the stairs especially if I have his kong.
    I've tried his favorite treats to lure him down the stairs,and all he will do is get whinney , bark and start to act like he's frantic and starts to pee. He doesn't seem to mind jumping down off of things about the same height while hes outside, any ideas?
    He's getting too heavy for me to carry down.
    I appreciate any suggestions.

I'll give these ideas a try and let you know I make out. Thanks for the suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How can I teach him to come down stairs?

start at the bottom most stair. On leash, encourage him to go up the one step and then back down again, over and over till he does so with no hesitation. Then move to the second stair from the bottom, repeat repeat repeat. You can give a treat after each one, but I find it more effective to just use verbal praise and keep him moving.

riarcher is offline Member

This has worked well for me numerous times.
    Play ball with him at the bottom, bounce if off the first 3-4 steps. When he gets excited at catching, make it land and stay on the second or third step. Idea is for him to stand on 1st to reach. Just don't repeat over, and over. Just occasionally. Then work your way up to the point of having the ball land and stay at the top.
    Boomer was scared to come down at first. So I did the above mentioned with him. He lived in a crate for 2 yrs. before I got him. Hind quarters were a weak mess. We now use it for exerciseing and play fetch. He loves it and the quarters are coming along well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nala Daddy is offline Senior Member

You also might want to find a set of stairs that aren't really steep you know the kind that are spaces really far apart so that he can put his whole body on each step. Nala was a little scared of the steps at my place and wouldn't come down them but would go up them no problem so we took her over to my parents house were there steps up to the front porch are not steep and she went right up and came right back down, then when we back home she had no problems. You might want to try it I think it is less scary.
    Kyle

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I did something similar to what Kaytris did.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mattjf is offline Junior Member

I was lucky with Sasha. She is 3 months now and the 2nd day I had her, when she was 8 weeks, she did the stairs just fine. First time she tried, she had trouble going up, and would not go down. About a day later, she tried the step at the very top. She was very scared but I was praising her and calling her from a few steps down. she took another step and quickly realized if she goes slow, she will be fine. Now she tears up them and down. She is faster than I am on steps.

-Matt

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

funny you're brining this up...

Bailey just figured out stairs this past weekend! I'm so proud of him!

He also went in the water for the first time too (only about 3 inches of water, but still!)

TimC. is offline Senior Member

A large part of this is because of his age. He can't see more than one step below and he is afraid of falling. Find some stairs that the riser is shorter than normal height. Then practice at the bottom one step at a time making sure that each lesson ends on a positive note and is successful. The other thing I would add is once you have the stairs in your house mastered try different types of stairs, different materials, basement or deck stairways that you can see through. If a dog isn't introduced to them as a youngster he may balk at them as an adult.