puppy doesn't seem to like warm sunny days

Thread: puppy doesn't seem to like warm sunny days

Defaultpuppy doesn't seem to like warm sunny days

i 've had my 11 week old blck lab male puppy home for 13 days and his housebreaking semms to get a little better everyday except a few days where the weather here has produced some warmer and sunny days. he does not want to go out into the strong sun and take care of business. he has had accidents in the house on these days more so than others and at other times during the day such as at night or early morning. i'll carry him out and he will head for shade. i asked the vet today about it and he didn't seem concerned about it at all.
    could it be because the dog is black and he just isn't used to absorbing that intense sun.
    he's getting treatment for coccidia currently and is pretty healthy otherwise. he has agreat appetite and loves to play and chew on everthing.
    Anyone else go through this with their pup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultRe: puppy doesn't seem to like warm sunny days

I use to have a black lab,(Sam) for 12 years, and he hated the sun! He would dig a deep hole if out in it for more than 10 minutes. I cured this by getting him a plastic pool. He would lie in it for hours! My yellow lab,Zoe, lies in the sun all day, she loves it!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Could also be that he's not used to how it feels. We kind of take for granted that it feels different on our skin if we're out in the sun (really good, usually!) But sometimes with puppies, that which they're not used to is often cause for fear/discomfort.

Also, he's probably never going to love the sun, as he is black. I know i wouldn't like the sun either if I had to wear a big, black coat all the time!! I'd say bring on the rain!! ;D ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

Murphy doesnt mind the sun, or the warm weather but it definatly slows him down. I actually look forward to it, because the guys never settles down. I dont know how energetic you lab is, but if he is like mine you will be loving the warm weather soon. On a hot day a little running around the yard and he gets all tired out and relaxes. Since he relaxes, I get to relax.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Not all Labs cope well with the heat. They are cold weather dogs afterall. The best thing to do would be to slip his leash on and take him out to a shady spot which I am sure you are already doing.

i do plan on getting him a baby pool. it's so funny when i try to get him to go out in the sun. he'll sit in the doorway and give me that goofy look, like, don;t make me go out there again. then he runs for cover either under the grill, a chair or under the deck.
    last night i was watching a dog whisperer repeat about that yellow lab who was bonkers about swimming. he was totally out of control, but cesar set him right.
    anyone ever see that south park episode where cartman's mom gets cesar milan to train cartman? LOL!!

obsidian Guest

Maybe it's too hot for him. Don't make a big deal out of it. Just take him somewhere cooler where he can do his business. The less of a big deal you make out of it, the less of a big deal it will be for him. Just like when a little kid falls down and all the adults gasp in horror and rush over to make sure they're okay, the kid will cry like it's the end of the world. When the adults just react in a calm and matter of fact way, making sure the kid's okay but not acting like it's a huge deal, the kid usually will just get up and go on like nothing happened.

today i found out he doesn't like the rain either. LOL! he was out in the sun today before the rain came for a while because i was out there doing stuff for a few hours and he seemed ok.