Sleeping during the day... to much???

Thread: Sleeping during the day... to much???

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSleeping during the day... to much???

Is there such a thing as taking to long of a nap during the day for a 3 month old puppy?? Today, Sarah slept almost straight for over 4 hours. She only woke up long enough to switch spots. I know she's been through a lot this week. Being in 3 different places since the weekend, the coccidia, new family, etc. She does sleep pretty much most of the night. I do get up with her about 3:30am and take her outside. We then get up again just before 4:30am and I've been staying up after hubby leaves and so have the girls. Sarah took a nap around 6am and slept for a little bit. I've also noticed that today Madison isn't very energetic. It's about 80 outside, upper 70's in the house. I do have the windows open and there's a breeze that comes in that feels nice. Are they just to warm? I've just been letting her sleep, since she is young and how her week has gone, I figured she needed it. Same with Madison, her week didn't start out very well either.

Maybe my girls just need their rest?
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

obsidian Guest

DefaultRe: Sleeping during the day... to much???

Dogs sleep a lot. Obsidian gets a lot more lethargic when it's warm out. I wouldn't worry about it as long as her appetite and bowel habits are the same. Do you know how to take your dog's vital signs? Do you know what is normal for a dog as far as heart rate, temperature, and respirations? Do you know how to check skin turgor? Of course if you're really worried, a call to the vet would be more appropriate than posting here.

Leone is offline Member

Hercules also sleeps a lot during the day.
    he is 10 1/2 weeks old and comes to work with me, he sits at my feet under my desk from about 8.30am when I get to work, and often doesnt even get up for a pee untill after 1pm.
    More often than not, when he wakes up he goes outside and pees, then it is back under my desk for another hour or so untill he is awake enough to get up and have a play.
    I guess, he is awake from about 6 in the morning when my son goes to work and he plays and plays flat out untill we go to work.

I am sure that before long he wont need quite as much sleep, but for the moment I just make the most of his sleep time - he is just so cute, you cant help but love him ;D
    <br /><br />Hi, I&#039;m Hercules - I will grow into my name, I know I will... my mum says so!<br />and a couple of weeks later, see.... I am growing into a big boy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Puppies need a lot of sleep. Their bodies are growing and it takes a lot of energy. The fact that they are sleeping so much is a sign that they are content.
    Olie

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    Puppies need a lot of sleep. Their bodies are growing and it takes a lot of energy. The fact that they are sleeping so much is a sign that they are content.
    Olie
    That's what I was hoping. When Madison was that age, which wasn't all that long ago, she didn't seem to take long naps like Sarah. She did nap a lot, but seemed to wake more often..... she did try and follow me as I did stuff around the house and gave me a look as if to say "Mom, would you just quit moving!", lol.

Both girls are definetly content. I absolutely love having 2 dogs, 2 cats and my daughter's rabbit. I'd have more animals if I could, but I'd probably have to win the lottery to make that dream happen, lol. My daughter and I want horses too ;D
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon