Help- our formerly sweet puppy Kallie now thinks she's "Paris Hilton"

Thread: Help- our formerly sweet puppy Kallie now thinks she's "Paris Hilton"

risingphoenix is offline Member

DefaultHelp- our formerly sweet puppy Kallie now thinks she's "Paris Hilton"

Hi- some, or a few of you may be aquainted with me from other threads on this forum. For those of you who are not, my parents have a 3 and a 1/2 month old chocolate female lab puppy I bought them as a gift. For the most part, she is a joy- always has been. Loves everyone, is very sweet,although a bit precocious- she can be a bit of a piranha, and our family vet has said she's a real little "smartie-pants"-and although she has basically gone to bed at night thinking she's "Dakota Fanning", this week she has decided her star power is more along the lines of say," Paris Hilton". As such, ALL commands and/or instructions are optional, depending on her mood. Her "ego" barely fits through the door. She is self-proclaimed social chair, homecoming queen, and Miss Teen USA of the neighborhood, so she must meet, greet, and schmooze with everyone- we are her publicists, and therefore expected to be on board and all good with that. After all, the world revolves around her. And if you dare chastise her, or attempt to put limits on anything she wants to do, she will pout and ignore you awhile, until you realize how empty your life is without her.

We just need to learn how to bring her back down to earth- without setting her off to pouting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help- our formerly sweet puppy Kallie now thinks she's "Paris Hilton"

Some may attribute this to "teen age" years but I think it's due to all the hormonal changes they're going through -- it upsets and erases some of their previous learning.

What worked very well for us was using a "NILIF" ("Nothing In Life Is Free") training procedure. In this, a pup's meal is fed a few kibbles at a time from your hand but it gets each next bite after obeying a command (sit, down, stay, leave it, come, etc.) Successful obedience = another bite.

I had to put Puff through this a number of times to restore order. Usually a couple days of that and peace reigned.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

chris ash is offline Member

DefaultRe: Help- our formerly sweet puppy Kallie now thinks she's "Paris Hilton"

well, maybe Kallie (who's adorable by the way) should spend 45 days in jail...*just kidding*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LMAO!!!!!!!!- don't think I haven't thought to myself "Kallie- you wanna see how the other half lives????" Awww-i must admit, I am a little hard on her on this forum, and having a bit of humor at her expense- I guess its just hard to see her go from this sweet, innocent, like 5 year old child who hangs on your every word and move, to a rebellious 12-year old who "wear's make-up even though she's not supposed to, is crushing on the punk rocker you despise, and thinks she knows everything- your input does not count." Unless she needs protection from the big, bad, wolf, or anything else that makes a loud noise- then you are indispensable.

before anyone thinks I'm cold or glib- let me just say that sometimes I use sarcastic humor to take the "edge" off things- to get serious for a moment- I love that little girl with every fiber of my being- I would walk across hot coals for her- and the rest of my family feels the same way. And we know its just a phase she's going through- its all good.

I, myself, am a "rescue lab" kind of girl- if I didn't have to travel all the time for business, the first thing i would do is adopt a lab or three that needed it the most. But she was a gift and that's that. And I guess deep down that's what I worry about with our Kallie- she'll always live a secure life- she'll never know abandonment, or loneliness- not that I would EVER want her to!! It's just that I think one of the best and most satisfying emotions we can have is being appreciative of what we have and counting our blessings. And I worry, unfoundedly I'm sure, that she'll trot through life taking everything for granted, kind of like she's doing now. I think she'll mature and everything will be okay in the long run.

alliesmom is offline Member

Hey, you're not glib, you're a great writer! Had me laughing my butt off. Thank you by the way, it could stand to lose a few pounds!! ;D ;D

Kallie is gorgeous and actually looks so confident and sure of herself.

I don't know much about solving your problem, but my Allie had some similar issues.

I actually referred to her as a "Borg" at one time, because she thought we were all here to "service" her. Sorry, you gotta know Star Trek to get it.

I had to make sure she knew I was boss. It was so hard because I adore her to pieces and practically worship her little paw prints. She was a rescue and I really wanted to make her new life perfect...perfectly spoiled!

I started to make her do the things already recommended here. Sitting for food, treats, attention, coming in the house, waiting to go out. She hated having her feet touched and used to submissively urinate. So, we worked on that too. It was a trust issue though.

The more we worked together and reinforced that I was the Mom and she was the Child, so to speak, we become closer, in a more respectful way. It's a healthier relationship for both of us.

Good luck to you and your folks. I look forward to seeing more pictures of her as she grows.

Linda

Thaanks Linda for your post- I'm glad you enjoy the Kallie stories- I love people's Lab antic stories too- here's a couple more Kallie vignettes if you're interested-

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/s...d.php?t=103771

Anyways, that's wonderful you have a rescue!!! I can see why you would want to make her life "perfect." I would love to see more pics of her too. And thanks for the advice. My parents are working on it- its just that you hit the nail on the head when you said she's so "confident and sure of herself." Oh, she sure is!!!! Anyway, they have just started taking her to puppy obedience training- in her case, I think the most fitting term for it would be "charm school."

Thanks again- will post new pics as soon as I can get them.

more pics of Kallie