Couple of questions

Thread: Couple of questions

dezicartel is offline Junior Member

DefaultCouple of questions

I got my puppy A few weeks back,and have a couple of questions :

- When should I transistion from puppy food to adult food?

- I heard giving your dog milk and/or eggs in a bowl is good for the pup, fact of fiction?

- When your pup eats a lot of grass/plants, does that mean he has an upset stomach and is trying to consume something will make it throw up?

- Is it bad to feed a pup human food, like crackers / chicken breast / cereal?

im sure there are more to come, but thanks for the help !!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Couple of questions

When should I transistion from puppy food to adult food?
    Did you buy your puppy from a responsible breeder (as opposed to a puppy mill or Back Yard Breeder) who competes with Labs in AKC/UKC events and who is guaranteeing your pup? If so, you should follow the advice of your breeder.

If you did not, see this thread:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,44159.0.html

Generally, the advice is to transition at about 12 months or whenever adult development is reached.

- I heard giving your dog milk and/or eggs in a bowl is good for the pup, fact of fiction?
    If you feed a high quality Large Breed Puppy food, that is a balanced diet; read the link above. Not only that but many pups become lactose intolerant as they age -- gas, loose stools, etc.

When your pup eats a lot of grass/plants, does that mean he has an upset stomach and is trying to consume something will make it throw up
    Labs are notorious for loving to nibble grass, especially spring grass after rains. Occasionally they may eat too much but eating grass is quite common and not a sign of illness.

Is it bad to feed a pup human food, like crackers / chicken breast / cereal?
    It depends. Do you want an incessant beggar? Human food is more appetizing than kibble but not as well balanced in all the things a pup needs. You COULD end up creating a picky eater. If you want to add a few small pieces of chicken breast, that probably wouldn't hurt.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    - When your pup eats a lot of grass/plants, does that mean he has an upset stomach and is trying to consume something will make it throw up?
    Be very careful with this issue, especially this time of year, when people are putting weed killing/lawn feeing chemicals on their lawns. May be a good time to introduce LEAVE IT!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

You've got great advice so far. The only thing I would add is that if you feed your dog a lot of human food in addition to his dog food he may reject the dog food and wait for the good stuff. Also there are several human foods that are dangerous to dogs such as onions, grapes, raisins and chocolate.
    Olie