Puppy training at 14 weeks...not too late, is it?

Thread: Puppy training at 14 weeks...not too late, is it?

Bentleysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy training at 14 weeks...not too late, is it?

Hello all!

My husband and I are enrolling our 10-week old lab, Bentley, in puppy classes that will start in 4 weeks. There's a program starting next week, but I would be missing two of the six sessions, so I'd much rather wait a few more weeks so we can both attend all of them. We're certainly working with him on our own, reading the books (I really like the "Loved Dog" method by Tamar Gellar) and building up LOTS of patience . I'd also really like for him to have his final round of shots completed before we get him in a group of other pups. So 14 weeks didn't seem like it was too late for us to start. I'm not making a collasal mistake in waiting, am I?

I just discovered this Forum two days ago and it's FABULOUS! I'm sure I'll be posting zillions of questions in the coming months and I so appreciate the support!

And as soon as I figure out the picture posting thing, I'll be sharing pics of our little Bentlers ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

alliesmom is offline Member

DefaultRe: Puppy training at 14 weeks...not too late, is it?

My Ranger will also be 14 weeks when he starts his training.

I've already had one pup go through the same classes, so I know what to expect and can start at home.

I think that as long as you start training at home as soon as he comes through the door and stay consistent, there won't be a problem. Maybe you can ask the trainers what key words you should start using now so you won't have to change them later on and confuse your pup.

Have fun and welcome!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

It is not too late. You need to make sure that your puppy had all of its shots before going into situations where the puppy can get exposed to diseases. Meanwhile, you can do a little bit of training with your puppy at home. Teach puppy how to sit, come, go to his crate, lay down.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Nope..not too late. Rookie and I started last Sunday after 3 sets of vaccinations, he's 12 weeks. There were other pups there that were 16 weeks...so you are good.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

The place I'm going to take my pup won't allow training to start until he's 5 months old. He's only about 15 weeks now.
    I've been doing minimal stuff with him already (he can sit and lay down) but I don't think you have anything to worry about at 14 weeks.

chris ash is offline Member

i certainly found puppy classes to be extremely useful. i also work with my lab at home, in-between classes. as someone already said, consistency is the key.

Bentleysmom is offline Junior Member

Thank you, everyone! We got his confirmation yesterday, so he's all set :-) He's doing an excellent job with "sit" and is learning to "wait" for his food and treats rather than jumping around like a crazy man.

choccylab is offline Junior Member

Mum and dad were planning on a week long residential course for our chocolate lab, and she's 20 weeks old. I use the past tense intentionally :-[

choccylab.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I have a rescue that is about one year old and we will be starting obedience soon, I hope. Training is never too late and a dog is never too old to learn.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Good luck with Bentley! At 14 weeks he's still a baby, but as you're learning, a baby who can figure out a whole lot. At this age, realistic expectations and lots and lots of appropriate rewards, limits, and consistency will get you very far. Let us know how it goes!