How should I train Madison & Sarah at the same time??

Thread: How should I train Madison & Sarah at the same time??

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow should I train Madison & Sarah at the same time??

This is something I've been thinking about all day. With Madison being older, she'll be 7 months on the 19th and Sarah being somewhere around 3 months.. I know they each have different needs at the moment. We're still working with Madison getting better about being on the leash and Sarah, I have no idea if the other family even put a leash on her. I took both girls in the car with me to my inlaws for them to meet Sarah. Neither one of them was to eager once the leashes were on and they had to go together. Madison is used to the lighter leash, that today I used on Sarah. They're both the 6ft nylon ones, the biggest one is 1 inch wide, the lighter one is the next size down.

Should I work with each one every day on an individual basis? I've thought about doing that, probably in the evenings when the family is all home to play with the one left behind.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us for having 2 pups.
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How should I train Madison & Sarah at the same time??

Should I work with each one every day on an individual basis?
    Yes. Or have your SU work with one and you work with the other and then switch and then do something with both. That will give each dog loving time and opportunity to bond with you and also a chance to learn from your older dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Agreed, especially at this age. If you try to train them both at the same time they are going to distract each other and they won't learn anything.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Should I work with each one every day on an individual basis?
    Yes. Or have your SU work with one and you work with the other and then switch and then do something with both. That will give each dog loving time and opportunity to bond with you and also a chance to learn from your older dog.
    It's easier to train if one person works with one dog and the other works with the second dog. Try to to do this where the dogs can't see each other.
    SU and I are at a point where our dogs will focus on who is giving whom commands. It doesn't always happen this way ;D. Leash walking is the most difficult. They tend to lose focus at times. It might be my girls particular personalities.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Or have your SU work with one and you work with the other and then switch and then do something with both. That will give each dog loving time and opportunity to bond with you and also a chance to learn from your older dog.
    Hubby and I talked about that last night. He's just going to have to help work with the girls. When we first got Madison, he said that he'd help work with her on the leash.... I think he did that twice. When I was working, he'd come home after he'd got off work at 1:30pm, have a snack and then most of the time, he and Madison would take a nap together. I don't think that really counts as working with her. : I never said much because hubby is a very hard worker and does deserve to come home and kick back for a while, I guess I just expected him to help out with Madison more. The one thing we are excited about is when we take our evening walks this summer and being able to take both girls with us.

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    Leash walking is the most difficult. They tend to lose focus at times. It might be my girls particular personalities.
    Yes, I've discovered that to be true with Madison. When I take her out, her nose tends to lead her and she just doesn't focus on what we're doing very well. I don't take her out for long periods, just short ones at a time. My girls have such different personalities too. Madison is just so mellow, kind of a submissive personality and Sarah definetly has a more agressive nature. We've had to stop her more than once from growling at the food dishes. But she does seem to respond really well to us correcting her so I'm hoping we can change some of her traits. She's a very sweet girl who loves to cuddle, though Madison doesn't seem to like when Sarah tries to snuggle up to her, lol.

I have littermates with two distinct personalities. Daisy the brave hearted and Maggie the shy one. Maggie is easier to train and retains training longer. Daisy has ants in her pants :. This is my first time with littermates, I didn't intend to have mates, but the breeder pulled Maggie from a home and emotion got the best of us. I'm not certain of the whole story behind Maggie.

Training two takes longer. Somtimes I have to change my approach here and there. My girls aren't quite where I would like them to be, but they are delightful to have.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

You definately need to train them separately. I even train my 3 adults separately. The ONLY time I train together is when I am working on distraction training. I put them all on a sit stay in a row at the end of the driveway, and they need to listen to me when I call them. They know their names, and if I say "Maddy Come", I only want Maddy. This simple exercise can sometimes take about 1/2 hour until each one completes it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    if I say "Maddy Come", I only want Maddy. This simple exercise can sometimes take about 1/2 hour until each one completes it correctly.
    I'd be happy to get Madison to do that. I think little Sarah responds better than older Madison. Definelty need to make myself a schedule for working with the girls, housework, setting time aside for me (reading, net, etc.) and STICK WITH IT I'm horrible. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    if I say "Maddy Come", I only want Maddy. This simple exercise can sometimes take about 1/2 hour until each one completes it correctly.
    I'd be happy to get Madison to do that. I think little Sarah responds better than older Madison. Definelty need to make myself a schedule for working with the girls, housework, setting time aside for me (reading, net, etc.) and STICK WITH IT I'm horrible. ;D
    I need a 30 hour day lately. I have the most enjoyment working and playing with the dogs so housework is slipping this month. I'll be there when I get time.