Ugh, my doggie escapes from his crate!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh, my doggie escapes from his crate!

lilydarling is offline Member

DefaultUgh, my doggie escapes from his crate!

Black lab, almost 11 months old. First time he escaped from his crate (five days ago), he chewed up a thing of my deodorant. I thought he didn't really "escape".. I thought maybe my husband forgot to do the latch correctly.

A few days later, he escaped again, and someone left the bathroom door open, and when we returned home, there was chewed up toilet paper all over the bathroom and thru the living room.

So yesterday, we were wondering exactly how he got out of the crate, so when he went in there to get a toy, my daughter shut the door on him, and he started working his paw up and down at the door, and we could see how, if he hit it a certain way, the door would unlatch.

Today before work, I picked up the house really well, to make sure there was nothing he could get into, and closed the bathroom door, and sure as heck, he got out of the crate again. My daughter called me after school to say he got into my bedroom and chewed up a bunch of my makeup.

Now I'm wondering what I have to do to make the crate more secure. Maybe a bungee cord? My mom said to tie a shoe string around it, but I could see him chewing thru that easily. My husband mentioned maybe a zip tie, and to keep scissors nearby to get him out quickly when we got home.

I'm just not sure WHAT to use.. obviously, he's not good enough around the house to let loose for those three days a week/7 hours a day he needs to be crated.

Any ideas?
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ugh, my doggie escapes from his crate!

Like you said, bungee cord. It'll be your best friend. The thicker the better, that way your pup can't chew through it.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

jaimielee is offline Junior Member

Our dog Buster does the same exact thing. We tried putting bungee cords around the crate but somehow he still manages to escape. When we come home the door is still bungeed shut, and he is out of the cage. I am having the same problem as you.. if you come up with anything, please let me know! Good luck.
    &lt;img src=&quot;http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/_fray/doggie.jpg&quot;&gt;

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

When my Joker was crated he became the master escapee. We had to padlock the crate in the end. I suggest you do the same.

One of my friend recommended using one of these:

I don't have to crate him until tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it works lol.
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

Nala Daddy is offline Senior Member

If your crate is a wire one you might want to try a climbers carabiner you can get them in all sizes so they should have one that is small enough so that your dog wont slip through and they also have some that spin lock plus there is no way a dog could chew through one and they are also very easy to use so if you need to get him out in a hurry it wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.rei.com/Search.do?origin=...ing+Carabiners

Hope this helps

Kyle

Ok, i tried to use that first clippy thing that I posted the picture of.. it would only fit on the top or bottom of the door, and it left a big enough gap that he could escape, so I ended up using zip ties on the top AND bottom.... I got home 5 hours later, and guess who greeted me at the front door?

Yup, he chewed off the top zip tie, and left the bottom one, and managed to slip thru anyway (even though it's a small gap). *sigh* Luckily, he didn't get into trouble, but DAMN.

I also tried a carabiner that we had, but it was too big, and I only had one, so it also left a gap, but i think it would work wonderfully if I find 2 smaller ones.
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

Nala Daddy is offline Senior Member

Check any outdoors store for the smaller ones if they don't have any the ones they use for keychains might work they are usually around the register, our grocery store even has them they should be small enough.
    Kyle

choccylab is offline Junior Member

My brother and dad built a pen for our lab in the back garden, with a fence on two sides, a long door on one side, and wire (safe) on the other. She can easily unhook the door from the fence post, so we just use string. We tie it up high, where she can still reach it, but it's very awkward for her to do so. With the crate, if you tie it up towards the top corner, she may well lose the will to get out after ten minutes of trying! Labs are smart, but undoing knots? Hard work!

choccylab.

ShadowDancin is offline Senior Member

LOL our dog does the same thing.. She has ruined 3 crates in her lifetime THose metal ones were the easiest for her to houdini herself out of so we have a plastic one. Your husband gave good advise. That is Exactly what we do. We zip tie her in everytime we leave and have to cut her out when we get home.. It seemed a HUGE pain at first but after awhile I just got used to having to cut her out ... And since we started doing that a few months ago, she has not goten out once. Good luck with your pup and I am glad that I am not the only one whose dog thinks they are an escape artist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast