Bike riding

Thread: Bike riding

amski78 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBike riding

I have an almost 3 yr old chocolate lab. Last year, only once, I took him out for a bike ride with me riding the bike and holding him in my right hand on a leash. He wasn't too bad, except for running in front of the front tire a few times, but it didn't take him long to figure out that he had to say beside me This year, we're hoping to take him out a lot more since it's good for us and for him. Last week we took him out and it was like walking a yo-yo. He constantly was jumping (beside me) and trying to get my attention. He drooled all over my leg (he does that when he's upset) while he was jumping up and down....what am I doing wrong?! I'm afraid to take him out again because I don't want to stress him out! Any suggestions??
    Thanks... ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bike riding

Be careful, bike riding with your pooch may be fun, but it can actually be bad on his joints. Forced running isn't actually good for a breed such as a labrador that is prone to joint problems. How about you take him to the park and play a good game of 'tag' or race or play fetch? This way you both can run and be active and he wont be as stressed because hes not being forced to run and he can stop as soon as he gets tired. Sound like a good idea?

My dog LOVES to play 'tag' with me or just to chase me around. Its great exercise for the both of us and since its not forced running and he's not running on concrete (but instead on grass and dirt) his (and my) joints dont take a pounding.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bike riding

Bike riding with your dog can be fantastic exercise PROVIDING you have the right equipment and you know what you are doing. For starters, you should never ride a bike with the leash attached to your handlebars. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Having your dog run off leash is best but if that is not an option you should invest in something like this:

http://www.springerusa.com/

Secondly, it is important you condition him for this type of exercise. He must be physically fit. Bike riding is high impact and therefore should not be done in excess. Build him up slowly. Start with 5 minutes on the bike, then 10, then 20, etc. If you go on a longer bike ride give him the next day off to recuperate and allow his muscles to recover.