Not Sure If I Should Freak Out Yet

Thread: Not Sure If I Should Freak Out Yet

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot Sure If I Should Freak Out Yet

My 5 month old pup loves bully sticks and yesterday she was chewing one (a 7 inch stick) and got it down to half it's original size. Normally when they get this small I throw them out because she can fit the whole thing in her mouth when it's that little and I don't want her to choke. Well I don't remember throwing it out and now I can't find it! I know bully sticks are digestible but I wonder, did she swallow it and was it a pretty big piece if she did? I'm concerned about obstruction. So far today she has eaten and pooped like normal. What signs should I be looking for in case there is an obstruction? I feel like such a bad mom!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not Sure If I Should Freak Out Yet

I would just watch her it's amazing what they can pass and digest. Do a search on here for obstructions hopefully you can find the symptoms, I'm not for sure what all they are. I wouldn't freak just keep an eye on her.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy are big ones.

if she continues to have normal bowel movements and isn't throwing up, i wouldn't worry about it. Gabby often eats the whole thing.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

risingphoenix is offline Member

You're not a bad mom!!! Children, even fur children, can be hard to police 24/7. Don't freak out yet. If it makes you feel any better, last week our 13 week old puppy ate an entire leather shoelace. We didn't know until she passed it. She also ate an earplug, and passed that too. We're being extra cautious now.

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

I felt that way once, when Marlan ate a whole bird wing on a walk. HE was about the same age as your pup. I called the vet, totally freaking out, and the said - "he's a lab, keep an eye on his stools, it'll pass". Don't feel bad. It is often hard to control what they eat. Check out the post in Lab Chat about the entire squirrel that one lab ate!!!!

Binasmom is offline Junior Member

Don't worry - my lab has eaten everything except the kitchen sink - and that's only because it was attached to the cabinet! If you notice any type of bloating in the tummy area - that is cause for concern. Usually they pass whatever they eat. My beagle mix ate a plastic grocery bag - I don't know how or where she got it - but it was amazing to see it come out of her butt in one piece.
    IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/PIsces040/dogs020.jpg[/IMG]