how do you....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you....

guessheiress is offline Member

Defaulthow do you....

get your dog to learn to lay down or sit and just be calm? with Diva she knows what sit and lay down means but she'll mainly only do it in my bedroom but when I let her into the living room when she is going CRAZY and I try to get her to sit or lay down and just calm down she will not listen at all. It seems that as soon as she walks out of my bedroom she just stops listening to anything I say. I want to be able to let her walk around where she wants to in the house but she just does not know when to just calm down and stop being so crazy - she always goes on an attacking spree if our other dog Freddy (cocker spaniel) is in the room she just will not leave him alone b/c he is a cocker spaniel and he is much older than her, he just does not want to play with her he will just lay there and look at her like she's psycho lol. I just want to know if there are any certain things ya'll do in this kinda situation. Like is "time out" a good thing to do? and if so for how long should you make them sit in "time out". When she does act crazy I'll put the gate up and make her stay in the hallway just to get her to calm down when she calms down I'll let her out. But when I put the gate up all she does is bark and bark and bark. Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out when it comes to her crazy non listening moments lol I just want her to listen more than she does. It's like she is trying to rebel in her own way lol

So the main point is just how do I get her to do what she does my the bedroom in the living room and anywhere else?
    Diva Sue<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how do you....

Sounds to me like she is not getting enough exercise. What are you doing with her for exercise?

soulmindfist is offline Member

Yeah, exercise!!, I had a Cocker Spaniel before Jager (Buddy..deceased) I'm not sure how long you have had Diva, Cocker Spaniels are very smart, but they are not known to be as rambunctious as Labs, mine was a great dog, he resembled my personality to a "T", loved being with me, but if I wasn't paying any attention to him, well, he would just lay around, didn't matter to him, he was all about the sleep. Labs on the other hand, are full of energy, they want to be up and about doing something...constantly! They need alot of interaction with their alpha, they are not the lay around the house couch potato type, both their body's and minds need to be stimulated with learning, playing,exploring,etc.etc.
    I cannot help but wonder, before you chose Diva, did you research this particular breed? do you know all the in's and outs of owning a lab? (not saying you didn't research) ie. (all breeds are different, personalities, behaviours, traits, energy levels.) Did you know the commitments you would have to make for Diva before you chose her? (I didnt) Anyway, I would recommend that you begin lure and reward training with her on a regular basis. Instead of punishing her with time out, train her. Always have some kibble on you and get her to understand, what is acceptable and whats not. Labs love food and love being rewarded. Read past threads on this forum, their is a wealth of information here that will help you and Diva's relationship quite a bit! Good luck fellow alpha!

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I would echo the other posters. Exercise. Your cocker will let her know when enough is enough.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Exercise and obedience training. Good dogs don't just happen, it takes time, training and consistancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Sounds to me like she is not getting enough exercise. What are you doing with her for exercise?
    well lately i haven't been doing much for her exercise wise because i have been really sick and
    not feeling well at all some days i really just don't want to even get out of bed been having problems
    with my knees too so i haven't been taking her outside much really other then going to use the
    bathroom, i didn't wanna take her outside and if something is really wrong with my knees hurt them
    worse or pull anything playing with her outside. i'm gonna try and get her outside as much as i can
    and just sit down on the stairs instead of standing up and play with her in the yard. i'll take her outside
    tonight and let her run around she seems to like running around outside at night more than during the day
    don't ask me why lol
    Diva Sue<br />

Quote Originally Posted by soulmindfist
    Yeah, exercise!!, I had a Cocker Spaniel before Jager (Buddy..deceased) I'm not sure how long you have had Diva, Cocker Spaniels are very smart, but they are not known to be as rambunctious as Labs, mine was a great dog, he resembled my personality to a "T", loved being with me, but if I wasn't paying any attention to him, well, he would just lay around, didn't matter to him, he was all about the sleep. Labs on the other hand, are full of energy, they want to be up and about doing something...constantly! They need alot of interaction with their alpha, they are not the lay around the house couch potato type, both their body's and minds need to be stimulated with learning, playing,exploring,etc.etc.
    I cannot help but wonder, before you chose Diva, did you research this particular breed? do you know all the in's and outs of owning a lab? (not saying you didn't research) ie. (all breeds are different, personalities, behaviours, traits, energy levels.) Did you know the commitments you would have to make for Diva before you chose her? (I didnt) Anyway, I would recommend that you begin lure and reward training with her on a regular basis. Instead of punishing her with time out, train her. Always have some kibble on you and get her to understand, what is acceptable and whats not. Labs love food and love being rewarded. Read past threads on this forum, their is a wealth of information here that will help you and Diva's relationship quite a bit! Good luck fellow alpha!
    I've had Diva for 2 years, our cocker spaniel Freddy we've had about 5 years I think. He's never ever liked playing in all of the time we've had him he just rather sleep than play lol. The one thing he does love to do from time to time is go walking at the park, when me and my brother go and take Diva & Freddy he just loves it, that's about the only time Diva & Freddy ever get along lol when they are walking other than that they are like oil and water. I just thought by now she'd understand that Freddy just does not want to play with her at all, he barely even likes being around her. Like even when she's not being crazy and she'll go and lay down beside him he does not like that at all lol he'll get up and go somewhere else. Then Diva will get up and chase him and try to attack him like she's a tiger lol. But when I first got Diva I do have to say that Freddy was really mean to her she'd walk by him and wouldn't even touch him and he'd try and bite her and growl at her, he's bitten her face and almost got her eye once. Even though he's been mean to her she still wants to I guess be friends with him but he wont have any of that at all. He's not as mean to her anymore he hasn't tried to bite her in awhile ::knock on wood:: It's just hard getting her to understand that Freddy just does not want to play with her period that's the biggest thing she still just doesn't understand why he wont play or doesn't want to be near her. She'll try and share her ball with him and everything but nothing. No I didn't do any research because I already had an idea of how Labs are and that they are hyper and like exercise. But when I first got her she was not and still isn't your typical Lab, she doesn't like water, she doesn't like being outside much she'll only stay outside for maybe not even 5 to 10 minutes when I try to get her to play and then she's just ready to go back inside, she's very scared and timid so that has been a big thing to try and get her to not be scared or timid, she thought everything was going to get her a car would come by and she'd take off scared shaking or a neighbor would be outside and she'd run and hide (the list could go on and on) so of course getting her to do things is going to be a little bit harder than a regular Lab ya know cause I pretty much had to try and get her to learn that nothing was going to come and get her and that she was going to be fine.

like I said above to someone else i haven't been doing much for her exercise wise because i have been really sick and
    not feeling well at all some days i really just don't want to even get out of bed been having problems
    with my knees too so i haven't been taking her outside much really other then going to use the
    bathroom, i didn't wanna take her outside and if something is really wrong with my knees hurt them
    worse or pull anything playing with her outside. i'm gonna try and get her outside as much as i can
    and just sit down on the stairs instead of standing up and play with her in the yard. i'll take her outside
    tonight and let her run around she seems to like running around outside at night more than during the day
    don't ask me why lol

but I'm going to do my best to get her exercising more and see how she acts then. whew dang i typed a lot lol sorry =)
    Diva Sue<br />

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear about your health problems. But unfortunately - until your pup gets more exercise it will probably only get worse. When they have too much energy I find they loose their brains.

Can you possibly look into having a dog walker come by? or doggy daycare? do you have a friend or family member than can help out? do you have a fenced yard, if so, does throwing a tennis ball (or any toy) get her moving? at least that way you can even sit down. if she isn't good at bringing it back to you then just tie a long rope (LONG) so you can lead her back (again - you won't even have to get up this way!)

I'd also suggest an obedience class (which is also a great bonding experience) when you are up to it. Even if your pup knows the basic it is good to practice in different environemnts.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon. If this is going to be a long term thing you seriously need to find an alternative for your pup (I am NOT suggesting rehome, but at some point she will need SOMEONE to exercise her)

oh and just a note - Rocky is not a typical lab. he is "lazy" but I can't skip too many days of exercise he'll go crazy. he doesn't like water, he needed some training to retrieve (and still isn't a big retriever). And actually ALOT of labs do not like being outside without their human.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

soulmindfist is offline Member

Damn Cocker Spaniels, Buddy liked to play and everything, but he sounds a lot like your Spaniel, mine was very neurotic, didn't like kids or strangers, and like your's he loved taking a walk. I miss him a lot! sorry about your health, hope everthing gets better for ya. In the mean time you can practice reward training with him to help fill the void of exercise. At least it may stimulate his behaviour.
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Great advice from Tayna.

I am also sorry to hear of your health problems but for sake of Diva's own sanity, she needs exercise. I am afraid there is no way around it. Dogs get terribly bored of the same 4 walls day in, day out, and need to realease their natural energy. And unless you own a very large amount of property, Diva should be getting out for a walk or something EVERY day.

I'm going to be honest here and say that if you can't exercise her yourself you need to get someone else to do it for you. Your best option is family, friends and neighbours. If you know anyone that likes to walk or is "outdoorsy", call them and ask. It may surprise you how many are willing to help. Many people who don't have the time to care for a dog full time would LOVE to take one walking with them when they can.

If you have no family, friends or neighbours that can help, get in contact with your local dog shelter. Most shelters will have a team of dog walking volunteers. Explain your situation and ask if they can put you into contact with any of the voluntary walkers who could help you. I know at the shelter I volunteer at sometimes the other volunteers help with people who are unable to exercise their dogs through illness/old age or other heath problems.

Your other option would be hiring someone. A dog walker or a pet sitter. Then there is also doggy daycare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast