Pooch Pad, Puppy Pad, Paper or Nothing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pooch Pad, Puppy Pad, Paper or Nothing

alliesmom is offline Member

DefaultPooch Pad, Puppy Pad, Paper or Nothing

When the new pup comes home, should I use puppy pads, pooch pads, paper or just place the pup in the crate and use the logical method of walking him before/after sleep, meals, playtime, etc.

I'm still debating on whether I should get a playpen or not, but knowing my DH, he'll say, why do we need one now, we never used one before...of course he won't realizing that Aysa and Allie were 6 months old when we adopted/rescued them (plus he hates spending).

I figure whether my decision is crate or pen will have an impact on if I need any of the above or not. So, if you have any suggestions on those two issues, I could use some advice there too. I already have a 32x24 Plastic Vari-Kennel, but I don't want to drag it around and figure I should leave it in the bedroom so he associates it with night time sleep.

I admit I'm stressing a bit. I really, really want to do a good job of raising Ranger. I want to be a good Mom and I want him to be a happy, well behaved pup.

Any advice is really appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pooch Pad, Puppy Pad, Paper or Nothing

I wouldn't use puppy pads, why encourage a dog to pee in the house, even if its on a pad? You wont want that, especially when they are older. Yuck :-X lol But I would DEFINITLY reccomend just going ahead and potty training using the crate method. Just my $.02
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

I tryed using the puppy pee pads when murphy was still pretty young, and all that did was give him something to tear up. Took less then a minute to turn it into confetti. I think I remember other people posting about their puppys that have done this, I personally wouldnt waste my money on it again. I still have a whole pack minus one pad. They are pretty expensive. I would just make sure to take him out when needed and and if he has an accident, then just clean it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

You really don't need any of them.

alliesmom is offline Member

Thank you! My hairstylist recommended this idea last night. When she told me her 11 year old Pug and Shi-Tzu (sp?) were still going in the house and refused to go in the dog run they built I was horrified! They put their dogs in the run they built in their new house's backyard last year. The dogs were in there for 1 hour and wouldn't go. As soon as the dogs came in the house one of them ran to the pad in the master bathroom and pooped!! Her dogs have never, ever, had run of the house. They are always behind a gate in the bathroom. I almost cried!!

I never used the pads before. But, my dogs were much older.

So, just keep him in his crate or a short lead and follow all the rules for taking him out and forget the pads, right?

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Honestly, all we did with Marlan was kept an eye on him, took him out at regular intervals, and praised the heck out of him when he did his business outside. Whenever he peed or pooped in the house I would shout, "No!" or "Ack!" or "Outside", then pick him up mid-pee/poo and take him outside. Again, if he did it out there I would praise and praise. He quickly learned that he was to do it outside, and then began whining at the door when he had to go. Just make sure you always clean up the accident spot really really well.

Leone is offline Member

my 2bobs worth,
    Hercules is all of 9 weeks old and has been with me for 3 weeks, and has yet to poop in the house at all, but he sure as hell lets us know if he wants to poop.
    as for piddling, I take him outside as soon as he has woken up and say "do wees", he always does but that is just the nature of the beast (as soon as he wakes he needs to pee). He is starting to let me know when he wants to go out and pee. If he does pee in the house and I catch him at it, I tell him "no" and "outside", take him out, and then praise him when he does wees.

good luck with the potty training - great site to post and read posts about all things Lab

cheers
    Leone
    <br /><br />Hi, I&#039;m Hercules - I will grow into my name, I know I will... my mum says so!<br />and a couple of weeks later, see.... I am growing into a big boy

Dani is offline Senior Member

You have to remember that small dogs are harder to housebreak...so the pug and shitzu example is not fair. Use a crate and common sense. Everytime they stop something (playing, eating, sleeping) they go out side. Lots of praise. When you are interacting with them and they are awake, they will have to go much more frequently. Crate is good. Xpen...not needed IMO.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

I just recently went through the house breaking stage (still have uh-oh's once in a while too) and I can agree that the pads are a WASTE of money.

If you leave one in the crate w/your dog, it's shredded in no time.

Realize that the dog probably will have to piddle 10-15 times a day. No joke! So take it outside ALL THE TIME and praise it TONS when it does the right thing.

Bentleysmom is offline Junior Member

First of all, what a wonderful site! This will be an incredible help for us!

Alliesmom, I'm so with you...I've stressed quite a bit about what the "right" thing to do is because I want to be the most responsbile dog owner I can be.

We're on Day 9 with Bentley and at almost 10 weeks, I'm so proud of how well he's done so far with his potty training. He's only pooped in the house once (on Day 2) and that was because I didn't quite know his "cues" yet. Sure, he starts to squat and pee once in a while but, again, that's when either my husband or I miss his cue or aren't paying close enough attention. It was much more frequent in the first few days of having him, but it's decreased dramatically.

As others have said, it's just imperative that you take your little one out as frequently as possible and give them all the praise in the world when they go outside. Labs are SUCH people pleasers and we've found that Bentley so looks forward to that big smile and "good boy!" that he gets (sometimes, but not always, with a piece of his training kibble). When we first got him, I did the "potty dance" whenever he went outside as a sort of celebration for doing a good job (learned that one from Oprah's dog coach...seems to work) and that really did get him excited. I couldn't get my husband to do the potty dance, but he's very good at praising Bentley when he goes. He's doing as great of a job as we could hope.

I don't quite understand the idea of using potty pads. As others have said, why would you want to train your dog to pee / poop indoors? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, it means that you need to get up a few times during the night when they yelp and need to go outside. But that diligence and training will serve you SO much better than relying upon your puppy going potty on a pad. It's a lot of work, but I think that those pads are simply a crutch and a convenience and the end result won't be a pretty one.

Just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast