puppy walking on leash

Thread: puppy walking on leash

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

Defaultpuppy walking on leash

ok.

my next issue (ha!)

Bailey will go for walks with me on a leash, no problem. He got over the anti-leash thing a long time ago.

The issue is: As soon as we get around 50 feet away from the house, he stops, and sits on his butt and pouts.
    Then he'll start walking for about 5 feet, and do the same thing all over again. Over and over.

He won't start seriously walking until we are well away from the house and he's forgotten about it. Even then he's still a little hesitant.

This ONLY happens when it's just one of us walking him. If both of us go on the walk, he's just as happy as can be.

Is this normal behavior, and what can I do to ease his mind about walking with just one of us?

Many thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: puppy walking on leash

Yep, normal.. just encourage him along with voice and hand claps, and in a month or so he'll be past this issue.

sblab is offline Senior Member

I think we have the same puppy Ellie drove me nuts with this. She was much better when both my husband and I were on the walk. One day I only got about 4 houses down and had to come back. We used treats to lure her when she refused to go, and pulled her along. Now, at 17 weeks she's pulling us! She stops occasionally to lay in grass ???, but overall she's fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

That's what my Honey used to do. I was fifteen at the time and she belonged to me and my sister; everytime one of us went walking without the other she lagged behind; it took us a few tries to figure out what was going on, and then we just ignored it and encouraged her along. She got over it quick.

rahauge is offline Member

Good to read this because my dog does the same thing. I have a setup with some state land with walking trails behind my house, she even needs to be coaxed off leash. She is now 11 weeks, and I have started to do my training on my way home because she doesn't fight me. is there anything I can do to convince her to start walking with me? Or will she just get over this with time? Has anyone else experienced this off leash?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

11 weeks is a little young to be walking out in 'public', let alone being off leash.

We aren't in "public' we are essentially in the woods and have yet to see anyone else on any of our walks.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We aren't in "public' we are essentially in the woods and have yet to see anyone else on any of our walks.
    If it is public land it is not worth the risk before the pup is fully vaccinated.

Not sure I understand your question about being off leash.

My pup isn't thrilled about leaving her "home turf", she seems scared to walk - even in a safe area where virtually no else goes and she is off leash. She has the same issue when on the leash. Should I be concerned or is this normal behavior?