Leave It..?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leave It..?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeave It..?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you can tell me how to teach the "leave it" command. It's one I haven't taught before.

I have a vague idea of how to do it, but if people have used a particular method and had success with it, I'd love to know!

Thanks! ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leave It..?

I know you've got a link but the way I taught it was I'd place something interesting on the ground, then I'd walk by it with apollo on a leash, when apollo seemed interested in the object I'd say "leave it" The sound and tone of my voice would usually be enough for him to look at me like "what?" and then when he looked away from it I would reward him with a click and a treat. Over time that progressed to just a click, now he doesn't get anything (except the love in my heart lol )

Eventually he got the idea of what 'leave it' meant and now I can say 'leave it' and he'll do it.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Parafly9 is offline Senior Member

Honestly, I did what a friend suggested. I dropped something on the ground and when Maui went to grab it I stomped on the ground really hard near him and shouted "LEAVE IT!" He backed right up and sat down and looked at me.

It worked like a charm. Now all I have to say for anything is "leave it" and it's no problem. I only really had to use that loud voice with him two or maybe three times.
    <br />[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The group trainer we used (Trish Pooley) told us to put a few kibbles in the dog's dish at meal time and say "leave it!" and prevent the dog from eating it. Then (at first VERY shortly after that) put in a few more and say "Take it!"

As soon as the dog gets the idea, this can be extended over slightly longer periods of time, and with more than one "Leave it!" and adding more kibble to the bowl. Give ample praise for leaving it.

As Trish explained it, it was a way of helping the dog grasp the idea that obeying "Leave it" didn't mean giving up something but rather it meant getting something more.

Trish had over a year of total training between the San Francisco animal shelter and a training school in Washington or Oregon. Good trainer.

Worked for us.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

I used a leash when mine was a puppy, for leave it. He'd come upon something, I'd give just a mild tug of the leash while saying leave it. Or in the house, if he'd want to pick up an object I didn't want him to have, I'd hold the object down on the floor so he couldn't pick it up, while saying leave it. Or if he already had something in his mouth, I'd pull it out, saying leave it. I dunno, but it worked for me.

Say he goes toward my shoe, and I figure he's gonna pick it up; I'll say leave it, and he turns away from it. I use leave it many times when he has a ball, and I say drop it. He'll drop it, but then want to pick it right back up, so I'll say drop it, and when he does I say leave it.

To me, leave it means just that...leave it alone. So the method Bob explained, while it may be a good method, seems confusing to me. Leave it, to me, means leave something alone, period. Leave it didn't mean something better was coming.

I've always used 'wait' at the food bowl. Put the food in, tell him to wait, then said OK and he'd eat.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

nu-mum is offline Member

I had a thought regarding leaving the kibble in the bowl....i suppose it is more of a question.....what happens when he/she does not leave it and instead eats the kibble?

Rionoir is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    I used a leash when mine was a puppy, for leave it. He'd come upon something, I'd give just a mild tug of the leash while saying leave it. Or in the house, if he'd want to pick up an object I didn't want him to have, I'd hold the object down on the floor so he couldn't pick it up, while saying leave it. Or if he already had something in his mouth, I'd pull it out, saying leave it. I dunno, but it worked for me.

Say he goes toward my shoe, and I figure he's gonna pick it up; I'll say leave it, and he turns away from it. I use leave it many times when he has a ball, and I say drop it. He'll drop it, but then want to pick it right back up, so I'll say drop it, and when he does I say leave it.

To me, leave it means just that...leave it alone. So the method Bob explained, while it may be a good method, seems confusing to me. Leave it, to me, means leave something alone, period. Leave it didn't mean something better was coming.

I've always used 'wait' at the food bowl. Put the food in, tell him to wait, then said OK and he'd eat.
    Same here... "leave it" and a leash correction. Simple is good.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

With the food thing, I put peanut in a down-stay while I put her food down, and then say "ok" to release her.

Will that be confusing to the puppy, do you think? or will it help his learning? Should I change the command and tell her to "leave it" instead..?

I don't want to confuse either of them.... and now I think I've confused myself!! I'm getting soo nervous for the "homecoming" I think my brain is shutting down! :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Rionoir is offline Junior Member

No don't change to "leave it"... that command is for something you don't want them to have at all, not something they will get in a second. I say "wait" as someone else said above while I am pouring their food, but down-stay is good practice too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast