Crates - Plastic or Wire/One or Two

Thread: Crates - Plastic or Wire/One or Two

alliesmom is offline Member

DefaultCrates - Plastic or Wire/One or Two

The puppy will be coming home in a few weeks and I'm trying to get everything together.

I have a Vari-Kennel that is 24x32. It's hard plastic with the little strip of wire along the top and for the door.

This thing is a pain to drag around.

I've read that it's good to have a crate that the puppy can see us in when we sleep. That won't work with this one unless I have the door facing us...would this be sufficient?

Should I use this crate for sleeping and purchase another crate to put in a common space...maybe one that is all wire?

If I missed anything, please fill in details and advice.

I will be posting another thread about play pens if you have separate comments and suggestions for those.

Thanks so much!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crates - Plastic or Wire/One or Two

In my recent experience, I have found that a plastic enclosed crate is perfect for everything. The wire crates do not give them as much of a "den" experience.

Of course, get one that's just big enough for the puppy to stand up and turn around in, so that it won't pee where it sleeps.

I have already upgraded my crate twice, but they do it for free at the humane society here. You might want to check into that.

Also, my pup sleeps just next to my bed. He knows I'm there even though he can't necessarily see me. I think that as long as they're in the same room with you you'll be alright.

This is all of course my opinion.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I like metal ones cuz you can choose whether or not to put a cover over it to make it more 'den' like, IMO it also has better ventilation and is easier to dissassemble if you need to go somewhere with your dog. Just my $.02
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've found wire crates to be much easier to clean, and they don't "hold" the smells like plastic does....if you know what I mean! :-X
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    they don't "hold" the smells like plastic does....if you know what I mean! :-X
    Baloo makes and excellent point! Wire crates are great, However is urine gets off of the plastic tray and onto the bars, it will cause rusting, but overall I think a wire crate is better, just my opinion

I don't really think you need more then one crate.

alliesmom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    they don't "hold" the smells like plastic does....if you know what I mean! :-X
    Baloo makes and excellent point! Wire crates are great, However is urine gets off of the plastic tray and onto the bars, it will cause rusting, but overall I think a wire crate is better, just my opinion

I don't really think you need more then one crate.
    My old crate bars are rusted is this a health issue?

I think it would only be an issue if:

1. Your dog was chewing on the rust
    2. Your dog has a cut that you are unaware of and comes in contact with the rust

How rusted are we talking about? Any way you could 'unrust' the bars a little?

Piper is offline Member

We have a wire crate for the house (in the kitchen) that I have a fabric cover over. Cassie spends her nights there and short stints during the day when I go out. I often find her sleeping there of her own accord with the door open during the day.

I have a plastic Vari-kennel for the back of my van for travel. I take it out and plunk it on the lawn if we're going to spend a long time outside and she'll use it for shade and snoozing outside, like a doghouse.

I guess it depends on how often you will need to move the crate around. If I were only using it for indoors time I'd go with the wire crate, but I found collapsing it and dragging it out to the van for car trips to be inconvenient so I invested in the second one.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

Rionoir is offline Junior Member

I'm trying to picture how large of a crate that is... it sounds like there might be too much space in there for crate training ?? Or is it not as large as I'm picturing... lol