My 1 yr old is very possessive with toys, new puppy concern

Thread: My 1 yr old is very possessive with toys, new puppy concern

alliesmom is offline Member

DefaultMy 1 yr old is very possessive with toys, new puppy concern

Hi,

I'm very concerned about what will happen when I bring the new puppy home at the end of the month.

Allie, who is about a year, is very, very possessive with toys.

If we want to play with Aysa (9), we have to remove Allie from the room. Otherwise, she will out chase or get into a fight with Aysa to get the toy or ball.

She also hoards them, which is probably my fault for allowing her to have more than two toys at once.

I'm very concerned that she will either go after the pup's toys, or go after the pup for going after a toy...either his own or hers.

Should I remove all of Allie's toys now and just give her 1 or 2 new toys just before the pup gets home?

In the past, I've tried to give each dog their own toy, but I'm sure you can figure out how that ended: Allie wanted everything...and took it!

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My 1 yr old is very possessive with toys, new puppy concern

think you need in person training help with this one.. especially if Allie will draw blood.

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

hording toys is not due to you giving your dog too many toys.
    i rotate 5 different toys in and out every day for my little guy...

it's good for them, and keeps them interested in the toy instead of chewing on something else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What do you mean by she 'fights' with your other dog?

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I agree, I'd get in person help. In the mean time, keep the naughty one on a light leash in the house and correct her whenshe tries to take your other dog's toys.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

alliesmom is offline Member

DefaultAdditional Details about Possessive Pup's Lifestyle

I could have explained that better.

The older dog wants to play. But, the younger one believes that every toy that comes into the house is hers. If I try and play with the older dog, or if the older dog goes near a toy, even casually, the younger one takes an aggressive stance. That is when the older dog will try and restore order. Only once, last week, did they really get into it. It was the first time the older dog grabbed the younger dog by the neck. No blood, scratches, or injuries...or lesson learned.

If Aysa should lay down near one of Allie's toys, Allie will stare longingly at the toy, creeping closer and closer, edging her nose closer to the toy until she can snatch it away from Aysa...who could care less about any toy unless it's being thrown. She just happened to lay down next to something Allie has possession of in her puppy brain.

My older dog doesn't like to initiate play anymore and it's hard for me to play with her because Allie, the younger one, must butt in; it's the same way with attention or treats.

Allie has to get the ball, toy, whatever. I honestly believe that Allie is a Borg-Dog and she thinks that we are here to service her...bring me food, treats, toys...no other species or animals exist in this house or world but ME! That is what I think is going through that sweet looking puppy head of hers.

I'm still lost and worried about what I'm going to do when Ranger comes home in a few weeks. Allie is going to want everything that is his.

Although, yesterday, I took up all the toys, except for a few that Allie can play with alone. I threw everything else away except a couple we could play with together and I put those out of sight. Is this a good beginning? I feel badly though, she's been searching this morning for some of her dead toys.

And, last night, I started giving Aysa her food bowl first. When she finished eating, I gave Allie hers. I felt horrible...

soulmindfist is offline Member

Sounds like you need some one on one with Allie, managing 2 dogs pretty much means you need to step it up a notch, or 2, or 3.....Allie the one year old thinks it's all about her, and why not? she is the pup and expects for u to show her the way. Maybe more attention is what's needed for her, they do not (dogs) come preprogrammed to have perfect or acceptable behaviour. Thats up to you. Remember everything it took to get Aysa to become the dog she is? Now its going to happen all over again with Allie. Meanwhile u need to spend enough time with both because they both need your attention, they both want your attention. I personally think you need to spend more time with Allie and develop your relationship with her. By this I mean helping her understand certain request your asking of her, and you need to read more about reward based training and implementing this training with her, you need to figure out a decent time to do this without neglecting Alysa. I'm novice at training, but Jager knows what I expect of him (I know what he expects of me also) A new command were working on is "leave it" and "take it" and it's helping alot, Jager used to flip out at the sight of another dog, especially when I had him on a lead, nothing like an 80 plus pound teenage puppy pulling you down the road just so he can say "hi" to a dog he's never met before, but with training he's doing alot better, now I say "leave it" and though I get a few whines from him still, he no longer tries to pull my arm off at the sight of another dog and does his best to continue on. I am helping him develop and idea of what is good behaviour and what unacceptable behavior. Curious.... Did you say you have another pup coming?

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.