Stealing toys, sticks, anything

Thread: Stealing toys, sticks, anything

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultStealing toys, sticks, anything

Mambo is getting pretty annoying about taking other dogs toys. Most of the time he doesn't want to play with them. He will just take it and put it by him. Its to the point that I am feeling bad for the other dogs.

To be honest I haven't done anything to correct it. I use to think it was cute. Now it's getting to the point that he does it daily. Yesterday he kept stealing a Frisbee. Mambo doesn't like Frisbees. He was also stealing a tennis ball. Doesn't like those either. A puppy was chewing on a stick and Mambo took that too. The owners don't seem to mind. I chase the toys down right away. But I don't want this to continue and he think its OK to be like that. I am sure alot of it is my fault since I let him get away with it for so long.

Now how do I stop it? I don't want to stop him from playing with toys, but he is a thief.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

soulmindfist is offline Member

DefaultRe: Stealing toys, sticks, anything

I just posted this on another thread, Does Mambo know the leave it or off command? I'm currently training Jager this command (I say leave it) were working on it and he's doing really good, it would work well with what your describing, it's universal, take for instance, Jager love's screwing with the indoor kitty, he barks and carries on and such, (I think it's pretty funny though) but when it get's old (after a few minutes) I tell him to "leave it" his ears drop down and he look's at me, and he knows what I'm telling him. He then comes over to me as to not get into trouble. Great command 4 them 2 learn.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is he stealing toys from other dogs at the dog park? if so, its fair game...people shouldn't be bringing toys to a dog park so they can expect other dogs to 'steal' them. I do think, however, that you should work on 'leave it'. Bring some extra special treats so you don't set him up for failure.

On the other hand, if this is happening at a non-dog park, bring some of Mambo's own toys! buy some special balls or bumpers that only come out for play/interaction with you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

He does it at the dog park. I know its fair game, but I feel so bad. We bring him his own toys, so he can play with us or the other dogs. But he always wants what everyone else has. I really need to work on the leave it command. That should help alot.

alliesmom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by soulmindfist
    I just posted this on another thread, Does Mambo know the leave it or off command? I'm currently training Jager this command (I say leave it) were working on it and he's doing really good, it would work well with what your describing, it's universal, take for instance, Jager love's screwing with the indoor kitty, he barks and carries on and such, (I think it's pretty funny though) but when it gets old (after a few minutes) I tell him to "leave it" his ears drop down and he looks at me, and he knows what I'm telling him. He then comes over to me as to not get into trouble. Great command 4 them 2 learn.
    I think we are soul mates, LOL! You just totally described my life!!! Allie does exactly what Jager does. She has to possess every toy whether she wants it or not. She even takes the kitties toys, so I had to remove them.

I'm sick in the mind. I get a kick out of Allie chasing the cat too, but it's gotten to the point that I think it's wrong and I'm concerned that when Ranger-Pup comes home at the end of the month, she will teach him this bad behavior and the 3 dogs will chase the cat down and tick him off to the point he does something evil to something. Although he is declawed, he smacks Allie around and they have frequent stare downs.

I'm going to start training her those commands immediately. Do you offer an acceptable toy to Jager after getting him to leave the unacceptable toy alone?

Have you had a problem playing with your other dogs with Jager in the room?