Help!! Need Car Sick Advice!!

Thread: Help!! Need Car Sick Advice!!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp!! Need Car Sick Advice!!

This past weekend we took a road trip to see some family for the weekend. About a 2 hour ride. Our puppy is 5 months old and the last time she took a car trip this long was the day we brought her home from the breeder's. On that trip, she got sick and vomited, and then slept the rest of the way home. This past weekend's trip was absolutely horrible! Before we left, I fed her earlier than usual; about an hour before we left. Big mistake. I realize now, from what I read when I got home, that there should be AT LEAST 4 to 6 hours from the time of feeding to the time of getting in the car for a road trip. Well. Poor little girl was MISERABLE the entire trip! She vomited the whole ride. There was nothing left in her. And the drooling......oh my God, I have never seen anything like it. She drooled so much she was soaked. I was a wreck seeing her like that. I felt AWFUL we put her through that. I gave her ice cubes, and a little water so she wouldn't dehydrate, but she threw that up too. Once we got to where we were going, and got out of the car, she was soon back to normal. She drank so much water. Then I waited a bit for her to settle down and I fed her. I was really dreading the ride home. So yesterday I gave her breakfast, but no lunch. She usually eats lunch between 1 and 2pm. I fed her breakfast at 8 am, she drank water all day, and then we got in the car to go home at 3pm. The drooling started almost right away but she didn't throw up until 45 minutes into the trip. It wasn't as bad as the ride up, as she didn't have as much food in her this time. But the poor thing drooled the whole way home, LOTS of it. And then she got sick one more time before we got home, but it was mostly water. How do I prevent this for next time? Is this something we can condition her to or will she always be prone to motion sickness? I don't love the thought of medicating her every time we go somewhere in the car, but I can't put her through what she went through again!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help!! Need Car Sick Advice!!

Peanut drooled for a bit until she got used to the car as well.

I read about it, and most authors said that it stemmed from anxiety. So I started taking her in the car all the time (esp. to moms house and back, approx. 1/2 hour) and now she loves it!!

I also had a friend with a bordercollie/shepherd cross that did the exact same thing (vomit if he had eaten ANYTHING and drool like crazy - he was much worse than Peanut) And my friend used to take him out back and play fetch for awhile before any car ride, and she found that if he was tired, the problem was much less severe. Also, he eventually grew out of the anxiousness.

Hope that helps, The car is something that I think for a lot of dogs takes some getting used to. It's a motion that's pretty much completely unnatural, when you think about it from their standpoint. (moving but not moving.....weird!! :P)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

This happened to Aidan once around the same age. We made sure to not give him breakfast the morning of long road trips.

If the dog seems fearful just make rides in the car a common practice...daily short rides, where the dog gets some high value treats for going along. Short trips are best to start. One important thing is to not unconsciously reward the dog for being fearful of the car. Don't console or make a fuss to comfort her, as hard as that is to do. When she is not drooling or appearing anxious you then reward her.

You might want to try a search on this topic also... I'm pretty sure it has been asked in the past and people left some really good tips.
    Some people even use special herbal remedies to relax a dog who is afraid of the car.
    <br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Lots of shorter rides
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Brewster is offline Junior Member

Good Advice thanks everyone. Has anyone tried a seatbelt for strapping the puppy down during the ride? If yes, what did you use.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I tried one for peanut, (just the regular one you can buy at the pet store) She managed to get herself so twisted up... it would have been funny if the stupid thing hadn't cost $40!!...... Actually it was still pretty funny...! ;D

I think a dog would be a little more responsive to it if introduced to it as a puppy (Peanut was not afforded this luxury.. :-[) And taught to sit still. (another thing peanut doesn't exactly "excel" at )

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

LKG
    LKG is offline Senior Member

I am also not keen on medicating a dog if you can help it, but my vet did say that for a long car ride Baby Gravol is okay. If it really is an anxiety issue though, you're probably better off curing that by shorter rides with treats etc. as mentioned above.
    <br /><br />Daisy / June 13, 2006