right feeding and proper weight for pup

Thread: right feeding and proper weight for pup

baboyako is offline Junior Member

Defaultright feeding and proper weight for pup

i've read on the internet that overfeeding or overweight dogs are prone to hip dysplasia (especially labs) and live shorter lives. is this true from your experience?
    i have an 8 week old female puppy, feeding 3x a day total of 2 cups of beef pro puppy. she weighs 10 lbs. is this weight right? should i give more or hold off?
    i'm afraid that if i don't give her enough, it would stunt her growth but giving too much might make her prone to hip dysplasia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: right feeding and proper weight for pup

i've read on the internet that overfeeding or overweight dogs are prone to hip dysplasia (especially labs) and live shorter lives.
    Hip dysplasia is genetic so being overweight will not cause dysplasia but it can certainly aggravate the symptoms. Dogs with HD should be kept as lean as possible to avoid stress to the joints. If your pup comes from hip scored parents (and this is really no guarantee) and you take all the necessary precautions especially in the first 2 years of life (not overfeeding, keeping the dog lean, doing the right types of exercise, etc.) I would not worry about the possibility of dysplasia. Even if your pup did develop it, it is not a death sentence. Dogs with mild HD can live normal lives. If it is severe HD it is more of a problem.

Chrissy is offline Member

My vet said last week (puppy is now 14 weeks) to start by feeding her the recommended dosage on the bag.
    If she starts gaining to much weight cut it back.
    If she is getting thin than to add more more back in.
    She said it is best to do this all along rather than looking at your dog a couples months from now and saying "Oh my she got fat!".
    Monitor all the time basically. There is not magic amount to feed she said.
    <br />Belle at 4 months

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

IMO, all dog food bags that I've seen recommend feeding WAY, WEIGH too much food for age and size. Sheesh! You'd think they're trying to sell more product.

It's better (healthier, greater longevity) to feed a little less than normal OR a little more.

See:

http://www.purina.com/science/resear...MoreYears.aspx
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

LKG
    LKG is offline Senior Member

I agree, that in my experience the recommendations on the bag are waaaay out of whack. Did you get your puppy from a breeder? I would suggest continuing what the breeder was feeding and monitor monitor monitor - increase/decrease depending on how the pup looks and what the vet says.
    <br /><br />Daisy / June 13, 2006