Potty outside only... please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty outside only... please!

PhilDenis is offline Member

DefaultPotty outside only... please!

Hello everyone,

Love this forum, have found some good advice here! Our little girl is 10 weeks today and is improving with each day... she "gave paw" yesterday! Yay! I do have a question about housebreaking her though.

We are crate training her and it's working well. She likes the crate and let's us know when she needs to go, so that is good. We feed her at 6am, play with her while getting ready for work then put her back in the crate around 8am when we go to work. We are fortunate that we both live within a 10 minute walking distance of our condo, so my wife will take her out at lunch and I sometimes go see her in the afternoon. If I can't make it, we take her out around 4:30 when we get home. She eats lunch around 12 ish and dinner around 6ish. When out of the crate, she has access to water but doesn't really drink that much and we tend to take it away around 8pm. We play with her from the time we get home to around 9ish. She gets nice and tired and is getting pretty close to sleeping through the night.

So that is the schedule we try to enforce. We use the balcony for emergency potty breaks and that works. She also has no problems going outside either... but the issue is that she also has no problems going inside the condo either. We watch her and look for her signs and if we see them, then we quickly bring her on the balcony and she does her thing. Sometimes though, there are no signs and she will just squat and do it (#1 and sometimes #2). We tell her no and bring her out on the balcony but she just gives us this "what" look. We praise her like crazy and give her treats when she does it outside but for some reason she just doesn't seem to get it yet. :

After reading posts in this forum, I realize that it's different with each dog and that they each catch on when they are ready. I would just like to know if we are doing everything correctly or if there is anything else that can be done to speed the process up?

Ok, gotta go stock up on some more paper towels!

Thanks everyone!
    Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty outside only... please!

Well, you have to remember that they do have the brains the size of peas right now. Actually, many times when they are actively playing, they don't really know themselves that they have to go until they stop to go. And when they are active they have to go much more often. I have a 10.5 week old and his tell tale poo sign is when he drops his head and starts circling around. Outside we go. Peeing on the other hand...he would too just stop and go if I let him. But I make a point to take him out frequently...especially if there is a lull in the playing...that is a good time to go out. He hasn't had an accident in my house in about 2 weeks. On the other hand, when he is at my neighbor's house, he has several. That is mainly because they assume that he knows the back door is open and he has access to the yard. Rookie has not mentally made that connection yet.

Keep plugging away.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Brains the size of a pea... yes, that's my girl alright! ;D

No accidents in 2 weeks? Must be nice! God, me must have at least 2 or 3 a day! She pretty much goes every time we take her outside too. I've heard of other dogs peeing alot due to a urinary track infection but I don't think we have that here... I hope.

We try to take her out once an hour from 5pm to 9/10pm, so I guess it really just comes down to taking her out a bit more after play time. We suspected that it was excitement pee. It's funny though because she can be play, play, playing and then bam, she stops playing and starts peeing... we don't even have a second in there to bring her out. Plug away we shall!

So in general they just "get it" at one point or another? Hmm, I wish I could flip that switch... anyone know where it is? ???

Thanks for the advice!
    Phil

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

She will learn! It sounds as if you are doing all the right things. It just takes a little while for them to pick up the routine!

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

They will learn. It takes a little time and consistency. I found the best thing to do was set a time limit -- say, 45 minutes for a pup that young. In 45 minutes, TAKE THEM OUT! If they don't go, CRATE, and then try again in 10 minutes. Keep doing this UNTIL THEY GO. Then, bring them back in and let them play or whatever for 45 minutes. Then, repeat the routine. Eventually, two things happen. 1 -- they learn, through this repetition, that outside is for pottying, inside is not;
    2 -- thier bladder control improves rapidly, such that you can lengthen the 45 minutes to an hour, then 2 hours, and then eventually, along the way, they learn to let you know when they have to go out.

One last thing -- each time you go out, use the words GO POTTY or something like that. Keep using the words, so that they can make an association with the words and the action. When they potty, PRAISE THEM LIKE CRAZY!! Be an idiot, who cares! Eventually, if you do this, you will be able to take them outside and say "go potty" and they will. It is very useful to have that command, for when they are walking around sniffing or playing and forget what they are out there for. The command "reminds" them and gets them back focused on "doing their business!"

Stay consistent, it will work!

Steve

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I think you're doing the right thing just take her out more often when she's playing especially. Even if you have to stop the play to do so. Exercise causes them to have to go more. Also try to clean the messes up with an enzyme cleaner such as Natures Miracle to get rid of all the smell. Their noses are much better than ours and normal cleaners don't get it all.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

MarlansMum,

That's what I figured. She is getting better and better as time goes by.

Steve,

We do the whole "potty/party like crazy" thing when she goes outside and she gets it! No problems going out there at all which is nice. I know she has good bladder control because she sleeps 6+ hours at night without having to go (but again, she is calm and doesn't have water). It really sounds like the playing might be the culprit here. We will just take her out more. Sometimes she will go outside and then again inside. I find that when she does this, she doesn't really pee all that much. So I guess it's either 1) keep her out longer because she isn't finished or 2) she just gets excited inside.

Time will help!

bacatherine,

We do have a spray that we bought for the smell, can't recall the name right now. I think it's working because she never goes in the same spot inside the house... although maybe it's in proximity to an old spot. Hard to tell. I think we might be due for a full carpet clean! :

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Phil

One other thing, Phil...

I am sure you know this, but don't assume that good bladder control at night equates to good bladder control during the day. My experience with Misty was, she could go 6-8 hours at night by age 8 weeks. However, she couldn't hold it for more than an hour or so, during the day. I think this DOES have something to do with activity, and drinking, and all that, but I also think dogs must have that chemical or hormone (which humans have) which limits bladder function while asleep -- in other words, you can hold it longer while sleeping than while awake, which is why we all "have to go" as soon as we wake up!

Anyway, it sounds like you are on the right track, and yes, time WILL help. I think you'll see drastic improvements over the next 2-4 weeks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, I remember reading that somewhere.

I just came back from letting her out for the afternoon potty break, it was interesting. I would always pick her up and bring her downstairs to pee outside but decided to try letting her walk to the elevator on her own... ya, that didn't work out too well, she peed in the hallway... at least it's not on my carpet! ;D

She peed again outside. Is it normal for dogs not to pee everything in one shot? She seems to be concentrating really hard, you would think it would all come out!

I got her to shake my had 6 times in a row. Now I don't even ask her and she is doing it... got to love their love of food! Smart cookie! :

Phil

Phil --

OOPS! I could have warned you about that "let her walk to the elevator" one. I had to learn that the hard way, two times. I would see that Misty had to potty, and usually would scoop her up and take her out. One time, I decided "she can walk to the door with me..." Nope. Peed on the way. So, just to prove to myself that that wasn't a one-time aberration, I tried it again. Nope. Peed on the way. : Now, of course, this was really early on. But, as you learned, the young pups don't seem to have a real good handle on "holding" it!

As for the "peeing it all out in one shot" issue...I'm not sure. USUALLY, Misty would -- even from early on. But, even this morning, she did her normal pee when she woke up, and then we continued walking around with me expecting the poop next. She squatted, and I said "good girl!" -- except, she PEED again. Silly dog!

As for their love of food, yep -- you gotta love it. My dog is a genius, as long as I have treats in my pocket... :

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast