frenetic dominance episode?

Thread: frenetic dominance episode?

adk4931 is offline Junior Member

Defaultfrenetic dominance episode?

Rusty is 8 mos. Very good disposition, responding reasonably well at obedience school. But there is a developing behavior issue that concerns me.

Twice in the last week after I took something form him that he shouldn't have, he responded with a wild run around the yard, tail between his legs, culminating with leaps toward me nipping at my clothes. No growls, or signs of what I would interpret as actual aggression, but definitely a wild charge, and an acting out of some kind of frustration. He did something like this when he was a young pup on occasion, but it is more dramatic now that he is large.

I am thinking that this is a dominance issue that I need to settle. But how? I don't know what to do when it is happening except "defend myself" b/c he disregards commands in that state.

It usually lasts about 5 seconds or so, then he is fine and comes right to me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas or advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: frenetic dominance episode?

keep him on a drag line/house lead, and when he starts to run, pick up the lead and give him something else to do - sit or down.

Or you can simply go back into the house and ignore him.

I wouldn't call it dominance, rather an excess of energy and joy. How much exercise is he getting?

I don't know if it is dominance either, but I think it is definitely some sort of acting out. Both times it happened immediately after I took something from him that he wanted.

We're making a concerted effort to give daily exercise. He gets walked at least a mile each day, lots of retrieving time. How much does he need?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

sounds like he's butt tucking!! (something that dogs do when they're excited)

I wouldn't worry about it either, probably just ignore the behaviour if it concerns you, soon he'll realize that he doesn't get attention when he does stuff like that, only when he acts in appropriate ways!

Personally, I crack up when my dog butt tucks! ;D ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I was told that they need 5 minutes of exercise per month of age (approximately)

I think there's more on how much exercise is needed in the "our best advice" thread.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

butt tucking, eh? That word picture does describe it and it is rather comical, and he is way excited. good to know that other dogs do this.