Solution To Slow Down The Eating!

Thread: Solution To Slow Down The Eating!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultSolution To Slow Down The Eating!

My puppy eats SO fast, like a maniac, so I have been trying all kinds of things to slow her down. For a while I was putting her kibble in her Kong and she would push it around, it would fall out, and she would thus eat slower. However, I would find pieces of kibble everywhere....under the fridge, the dishwasher, her crate, etc. Not looking to add ants to our home! So, last night I tried this: Muffin tin! I put a little bit of her kibble in each of the 12 muffin indents, and even though she still attacked it as if she hadn't eaten in days, it did slow her down a bit. Now I just have to find a kibble that is safe to eat!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Solution To Slow Down The Eating!

Other possibilities are to put a couple of lacrosse balls in the dish, they are alot easier to keep clean than tennis balls. Or you can take a baking sheet and spread the kibble all over the sheet.
    Olie

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Great idea. Wish I had known that with Kassa.

Kassa was so fast she would be finished before I stood up. I don't thing she chewed at all. Inhaled food. She was over night at the vets once and he told me had never seen a dog eat so fast.. Said I had to feed lots of smaller meals instead of a larger one.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella
    Great idea. Wish I had known that with Kassa.

Kassa was so fast she would be finished before I stood up. I don't thing she chewed at all. Inhaled food. She was over night at the vets once and he told me had never seen a dog eat so fast.. Said I had to feed lots of smaller meals instead of a larger one.

That's good because after Cancer, bloat is the number 1 killer of larger breed dogs. I have friends that feed their Great Danes 6 times a day. I feed Oona 4 times a day, she gets 3/4 of a cup of dried food per meal. Her last feeding is just before she goes to bed. After she does eat I make her go lie down for at least an hour, and I don't feed her for an 1 1/2 hours after she has exercised.
    Olie

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

There is a bowl on the market called brake-fast food bowl.

www.brake-fast.net

Cost is $14.99 The design forces a dog to slow down. It does nto allow the dog to open its mouth wide enough to gulp the food. Also, something you may need to get use to-the bowl slides on the floor which is also intended to slow down the eating process. The bowl is mentioned in the Just Labs magazine May/June 2007 issue.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pbc
    There is a bowl on the market called brake-fast food bowl...
    A "home made" option to the brake-fst bowl is a good old fashioned bundt pan. Other ways to slow down a fast eater- spread the food out in a thin layer on a cookie sheet, or across the floor. Also, feed out of a really wide dish so the food is in a single layer across the bottom. The muffin tin is a great idea for while theyre small!

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

You could also try putting at least part of their meal in a treat dispensing toy like these:

http://www.petexpertise.com/item--Tr...treatstik.html
    http://www.sitstay.com/cgi-bin/sdisp.cgi/TYBUST.lg.jpg
    http://www.sitstay.com/cgi-bin/sdisp.cgi/TY12.lg.jpg

I put part of Mocha's breakfast in a similar ball when I leave for work. It's better for her than lots of treats and it keeps her busy.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Hudsons mom is offline Junior Member

Hudson has a tendency to bloat up at night after his feeding. We are now feeding him only a cup in the evening and I put it in a Kong Stuff-a-Ball toy. With the size of his kibble a cup fits perfect. With this he has to move it around to get the food out, it also makes him use his brain a little which is a bonus. This has slowed him down alot, but he still gets bloated occasionaly.

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

I used the brakefast bowl and it is great I even had it shipped over to england best thing I have bought Saska so far apart from her balls which she loves............