Martingale Collar, Choke Chain, or Neither?

Thread: Martingale Collar, Choke Chain, or Neither?

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultMartingale Collar, Choke Chain, or Neither?

Marlan is learning to walk on a loose leash. Actually, he knows how, but sometimes he just chooses not to. I have tried the tree method, and basically he has learned to heel, get a treat, then pull again. More effective has been the rapid change of direction everytime he gets ahead of me - and that is what I am trying to work on.

Anyways - I have decided against a halti or an easy walk harness for a few reasons. First, he has two other harnesses, both of which aren't all that useful (I also don't want him to always have to wear a harness for walks). Second, I would like to try training him properly before I go with a haltee or gentle leader. Third, I was told that a martingale was the best way to go. I have also been considering a choke chain.

What do people think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Martingale Collar, Choke Chain, or Neither?

I use a martingale with Peanut, because I've found that the sound of the chain is just as effective as pulling tight action, if not more so, and I've found that it fits much better too!

I had her on a choke, and then a nylon choke, then a gentle leader (which works fantastically, by the way, if you get frustrated. I just stopped using it because it rubbed some of the hair off of her nose!)

But anyways, I really like the martingale because it's the same effect as the choke without the safety hazards! (and people give you the wooorrrssstt looks when you walk a little dog on a choke chain... yeesh! )
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

FWIW, a martingale was never designed as a training collar, it was designed for dogs whose heads slip out of traditional collars.

I train on chain collars or just on plain flat buckles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kpowell is offline Senior Member

I used to use a choke as a training collar, but found that a prong collar was much easier and better for the dog (if used correctly). Jack really only needs the prong because if I don't catch his cues early enough when he sees another male dog on a leash, he will lunge after that dog and pull me off my feet. With a prong he merely lunges and I stay on my feet.

(I guess I better go on to say that this is the ONLY thing that Jack does "wrong" and I have been working with him for over a year to "leave it." If I can catch the situation early on, he does a great sit and leave it. He is a FABULOUS dog in all other ways--agility, rally, beginning obedience, just being a friend--but he developed this "thing" about other male dogs. As a result, I don't believe I can ever take him to a show, so we'll just have fun in class and training at home!)
    Jack's Mom

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I really think it depends on your dog. With Moose I just wasn't successful until I went to a prong collar. It doesn't hurt him and the corrections are the same as those you would give with a flat or choke. I've just recently switched to training him with a choke because I can go into a ring with a choke, but not the prong and I still need some control with him. I also want him to relate the choke with how I want him to act - this is work vs just going for a walk.

Sky if walked alone could walk on a flat collar and has been that way since day 1.

I still walk both of my dogs on prongs - 170lbs of pull is quite a lot on the end of a choke, martingale or flat collar. I'm just not that strong! For the most part mine never pull anymore, but occasionally we get the stupid squirrel run past us or a possum (happened last week) walking up the street towards us. That gets them going really quick and a quick correction with the prong helps.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the Sense-ation harness (almost identical to the EasyWalk). Both of these harnesses are different from traditional harnesses because the leash clips to the front of the harness, not the back (which actually encourages a dog to pull). Thus, when the dog begins to forge ahead, gentle leash pressure will turn his body away from what he's pulling towards.

However, if you don't want to have him always have to wear a harness for walks, I would find a trainer to teach you how to properly use a prong collar. I would never use a choke collar on Henry, but that's just me.

Good luck!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    FWIW, a martingale was never designed as a training collar, it was designed for dogs whose heads slip out of traditional collars.

I train on chain collars or just on plain flat buckles.
    Yes. If you have a puller then I wouldn't reccomend this collar. Try a prong collar (if your pup is old enough) or an easy walk harness thingy. Apollo has a martingale collar, but only cuz he's terrified of choke chains (he was abused by his old owners with one) and also because he NEVER pulls on our walks....backing out of his collar IS something he will do on occasion, so for his saftey (and my sanity) i went with a martingale.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

GL's "Easy Walk"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748