on losing puppy teeth...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: on losing puppy teeth...

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Defaulton losing puppy teeth...

Folks --

Can anyone tell me how you know if your puppy is losing teeth, and when it should normally occur? Do they lose the front ones first, and the back ones later, like humans, or what? I had expected to see puppy teeth laying on the floor, and "gaps" in my pup's mouth, but thus far have seen nothing of the sort. She is 20 weeks now; should she have been losing teeth by now, and if not, when and how does this normally occur?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: on losing puppy teeth...

Mine started about 4-5 months (16-20 weeks). I never saw any teeth laying around, and didn't see gaps in his mouth or anything. I don't know whether the front or back drop out first. All I know is that by 6 mos., they were all gone, and it was like night and day...the puppy nipping stopped completely! Hooray!

One thing he seemed to like during the time he was losing teeth.....I wet a washcloth, wrung it some (twisted it), threw it in the freezer, and gave it to him to gnaw on. You can re-wet/wring again, and throw it back into the freezer 'til next time. Also ice cubes...mine's always liked 'em (still does), and they helped during that time, too.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

i think theo's started around 4-5 mos too. i can't remember which fell out first though. i first noticed a few small blood spots on some of his toys and so i checked his mouth and sure enough his permanents were coming in. this continued for a month or so and by 6 mos he had his permanent pearly whites in.

i was lucky enough to find a few puppy teeth, however it seems like most of the time people don't find any at all.

<br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Someone once told me that labs tend to swallow their teeth!!

I never saw a tooth.. but i diligently looked in his mouth every day and would see small gaps. Also, Mar started hesitating at breakfast time cause the food was too hard and it hurt his little mouth. So, I put some warm water on it to soften it up.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I concur with around 5 months..

the way I noticed was that all of a sudden Peanut would look like she was chewing, and she hadn't eaten anything....

If I acted at that moment I could open her mouth and grab the tooth before she swallowed it, but 2 seconds later and it was too late!

I remember clearly that the canines were the very last to come in (she actually had baby and adult canines at the same time for awhile, which worried me, but the vet said to just wait it out, and eventually the baby ones fell out.)

hope that helps!

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Mya started right at 4 months. Lost all the little front ones then the back ones pushed out. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me her "fangs" were the last to come in. I was so excited, I bet she got tired of me checking her mouth at least two times a day! ;D

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Hmm, Gabby brought me her's. She's a little weirdo. I think Maverick swallowed his- I actually have no idea as to when he lost his.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

TimC. is offline Senior Member

You will find them when you step on them! :'(
    Donna I used to use the frozen washcloth method, but I would get worried that Oona would swallow some of the stringy parts of the fabric and I searched for another possibility. I used fleece paint rollers from the hardware store. Again get them soaking wet and freeze them. They work great.
    Olie

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I think Brigetta started losing her teeth around 16 weeks. I didn't find all of them, but I would find one near her crate, on one of her toys, I even found one on a piece of my clothing. Her adult teeth grew in pretty fast. I always had a lot of nylabones around for her to chew on and this thing called a chilly bone that you wet and freeze.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

thanks everyone for the info!

I'll pay a bit closer attention to Misty's mouth and see what I can see!

I have occasionally done the ice, or the twisted-up-icy-washcloth thing, but I'll increase those if it appears she is losing some teeth!

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast