Puppy Eats Everything!!!!!!!!

Thread: Puppy Eats Everything!!!!!!!!

clear is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Eats Everything!!!!!!!!

When i take Ben outside he eats anything and everything, grass, sticks, pine combs, anything he can get his mouth on. Is this just teething or puppy play, and how do i get him to stop!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maedi is offline Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Eats Everything!!!!!!!!

Wish I knew the answer to that too !!, my puppy does the same exact thing, the entire time we are outside he is on a constant hunt to see what he can get into his mouth. Leaves are a big favorite. I think that as they get older it will stop, I figure right now they are just investigating everything.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Puppies explore with their mouths. They will pick up and try anything and everything to see if it tastes good. This is when you use the command leave it! Make sure they aren't picking up things like rocks because they can cause blockages.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think this is a puppy thing. He will grown out of it. Labs love to have things in their mouths.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Yup --

Misty does the same thing. She's PRETTY good with the "leave it" command -- as long as I catch her in the act of "considering" grabbing something. Once she has it, it's a crap-shoot as to whether or not she'll drop it -- probably depending upon how good it tastes! :

Today, it was a huge wad of bubble gum. She went into the weeds sniffing, and came out chewing something vigorously. I got close enough to her to see a wad of gum in her mouth, and she was chewing happily! I tried to get it, but she went into butt-tucking mode, and for 2-3 minutes would NOT let me catch her. She ran around and around me in circles in full butt-tuck mode. When I finally did catch her, the gum was gone -- either she swallowed it, or dropped it while butt-tucking! : I know there is some sweetener (xylitol?) in some types of gum that can be bad for dogs, so I really wanted to get it from her. :-\ I watched her for awhile, though, and she seemed fine, so, I guess, no damage done. : It was just hilarious to watch a butt-tucking lab chewing away on a wad of bubble gum!!

Steve

Dani is offline Senior Member

I let it happen to a point. Once rocks are picked up...out they come...but they are puppies and they are exploring the world. I don't see harm in chewing on mother nature.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

clear is offline Senior Member

so leaves and grass should be ok? anything hard (sticks/rocks/pine cones) i make him drop asap

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I don't think the pine cones would be a problem as long as he wasn't ingesting them. Rocks definitely off the menu.
    Olie