Sleeping through the night help needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping through the night help needed

Chrissy is offline Member

DefaultSleeping through the night help needed

My puppy goes outside at 11:30 PM, 3 AM and 5:30 AM (at least this amt).
    How can I get her to sleep "through the night" and leave out at least the 3 AM potty break?
    She is in the laundry room that is gated off from the kitchen and house areas. Her cage (den) is in there but it seems like she cries more when she is in her cage than in the laundry room as a whole.
    She is 13 old weeks now.
    Advice?
    Thanks!
    <br />Belle at 4 months

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sleeping through the night help needed

She's still too young to hold it all night. They can only hold it for about 1 hour for each month of age. Your pup is about 3 months so that's 3 hours. As she gets older, she'll be able to hold it longer. I would suggest moving her crate into your bedroom so that you'll know when she needs to go, you can hear her better, and she'll feel closer to her family. It may cut down on her crying to be able to hear you breathing.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stlabs
    I would suggest moving her crate into your bedroom so that you'll know when she needs to go, you can hear her better, and she'll feel closer to her family. It may cut down on her crying to be able to hear you breathing.
    ditto that!

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chrissy is offline Member

When I first brought her home she was in the crate in our room at night
    The she decided she did not want to sleep in our room. She would not sleep and kept crying. I put it close to my side of the bed and the side uncovered facing me so she could see me. I felt so rejected-LOL She wanted to sleep in her room with her container of food. ;D
    Soundslike she is doing fine then. She goes about 3 hours between walkings at night.
    It has been 2 weeks sinse she slept in our room. Maybe I will try it again tonight and see if she forgot she did not want to do it anymore.
    <br />Belle at 4 months

stlabs is offline Senior Member

Sometimes it helps to put a thin blanket over the crate. If she fusses, just tell her to be quiet and she should settle down. She'll get the hang of it. Her fussiness 2 weeks ago could have been from being alone and separated from her mom and siblings.

soulmindfist is offline Member

I have read that newspapers do the trick for dogs who need to do their thing late at night/early morning, as a place considered 2 be......the doggy litter area, when crying simply pick her up and put her on the newspaper, "do your duty(name)" well it worked 4 me, Jager was quite easy 2 potty train, I've only used this method with my late Cocker Spaniel Buddy, Jager pee'd in my garage once, I said "No Jager" I showed him his pee (referring to it as duty), picked him up brought him outside, placed him on the ground and said "Jager, do your duty here" and that was the last time he ever (went) in my hummble abode! Of course all dogs are different.
    Another thing 2 keep in mind is everytime u answer your pup's yelp, he/she, will recongnize this as "Hmmm, if I bark, they will come 2 me, and I can get what I want ." so dont let her push u around, this will only lead 2 your dog thinking she can get away with anything while pissing off your neighbors lol!

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.

clear is offline Senior Member

My puppy is 12 weeks old and he sleeps all night with no potty. His last feeding is around 6:30 and last water is around 8pm. Last potty at 11pm where he poops and pees. from 5-8 we play with him hard so he is extraaaaaaa tired.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

When is her last feeding at night?
    I agree, many can't hold it thru the night. I actually do a potty pool (think litter box) w/ my puppies. They are potty trained to the pool (filled w/ wood pellets) at 5 wks. The pup I keep stays in that pen set up until close to 14-16 wks, so she has the potty area there just in case she needs it. And *I* get my much needed sleep... as by then, I need it! You ought to raise a whole litter of them sometime for the full 8+ weeks!!!!! If you're curious, go to www.windycanyonlabs.com and click on Nursery. Then, at the bottom of that page there are links to Fuji's litter diary-- go to the 2nd page (week 3 or 4??) and follow it thru the end. It may not work for you this time but maybe it'll help w/ the next pup. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Don't despair in a couple of weeks she will be sleeping through the night. Just about the time when your sleep pattern is ruined. ;D
    Olie

untold is offline Junior Member

"Hmmm, if I bark, they will come 2 me, and I can get what I want ."

Ditto that, I feel victim to my puppies cries, you have to be careful they're not just playing with your head. I also make it policy of no water/food after 7 then walk once before bed (and once after last meal). He pees once through the night on his towel but manages to handle 8 hours alone no whimpering. He's getting better about not peeing. I also make it a policy to wait till he pauses or stops for a few seconds so he understands that barking to get me is not acceptable.
    --<br />Mike owner of:<br />Toby the Yellow Lab, Born 2/14/2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast