advice on feeding

Thread: advice on feeding

rahauge is offline Member

Defaultadvice on feeding

Last week my puppy had bad diarhea, so I took her to the vet. The vet checked her stool, ruled out parasites and said to feed her rice and meat boiled together rather than puppy food. It worked and she was going like once a day and her stools were solid. Now, after 4 days of that her stools are runny again, should I have mixed the rice/meat mix with kibble to slowly let her adjust? I am feeding Diamond Puppy Food which was used by my breeder and recommended by my vet. Any suggestions on how to get her over this? My breeder thought she may just adjust to the food after a week, but it causes her to mess in her kennel and accidents have become more frequent as she needs to poop all the time!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: advice on feeding

Yeah, what normally is recommended is this

rice and boiled meat for 2 or so days.

then gradually add the kibble in and decrease the rice and meat over 2 days so you're back to normal. Avoid any sudden shocks to the system. Make everything super gradual.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Okay, so now that I screwed up and probably "shocked her system" for one day should I go back to rice and meat for a couple days, and then slowly wean her back to kibble?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, did they look for giardia and coccidia? Giardia is easily missed in a routine fecal. Coccidia, not so much, but giardia, yes. It causes lots of diareha. IF this is not the culprit, I'd wonder if she was not digging the food. Is it the regular Diamond Puppy or the Large breed lamb and rice puppy formula?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rahauge
    Okay, so now that I screwed up and probably "shocked her system" for one day should I go back to rice and meat for a couple days, and then slowly wean her back to kibble?
    I would- provided her stool sample is clear.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Agree with Dani - have her stool checked again. Make sure she's not drinking out of puddles and/or eating 'whatever' in the yard.

My vet did check for both, but also mentioned that both giardia and coccidia "cycle", kind of like a women's monthly cycle, and could be easily missed. However, he did say that likely if she had one of these that the rice and meat would not have stopped the diarhea which it did. After talking with him today he recommended I go back for 3 days to the rice and meat, and then do it the right way and ween her on to puppy food with rice and meat mixed in. It is the diamond puppy food i'm using, but I think I probably shocked her system. I think this initially began with her eating some things she shouldn't have at my parents (she eats anything she can get in her mouth), I watch her closely in the yard, but puppies are relentless and she has figured out where things like the wood pile, compost pile and anything else undesirable are, and she loves them all. Hopefully this works, I'll keep you posted. Rice and meat seems to do a good job of plugging her up as she hasn't had any diarhea since being fed tonight. I'll keep my fingers crossed....