This one is new to me....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one is new to me....

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis one is new to me....

I looked through the best advice thread and in all of my experience I have never had this problem. Rookie is great so far. Sleeping through the night...has picked up on his name, etc.

He won't accept a leash. I don't normally have a collar on him because I don't want to wear out the fur around his neck (because he's a show prospect), but in order to train him, he's gonna have to get used to a leash and some form of collar. He fights me all of the time on this. Rider never had a problem. NOne of our fosters ever had a problem.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This one is new to me....

So when you attach a leash to the collar he bites and generally makes a fuss? have you tried letting him drag it for short periods a day while you distract him -- dinner time, training, playtime, etc., to take his mind off it?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

How old is he? I found that boys can be a little slow at times to leash train. The leash drag idea is good. Also try luring w/ kibble when he's hungry. Keep it short and very upbeat. It helps if you start working his obed off leash too, and luring at your side so he understands the concept of work. I don't buy into the no obed/heeling work w/ show dogs-- something we hear all the time at obed classes. My girls have all done a little conformation after their obed work was well under way. I showed my 2 3yo girls at the Intl shows in Feb to their CH's, and they both have CDX legs... they did great after I reminded them they had to stand (not sit pretty) in front of the judge on the down and back.

If he's a baby, I'd not worry about the collar crinkle at this point, but I would use a different collar (I like the cotton slip for show) than you'd use for regular obed work (I start my pups w/ the flat personally). -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I don't normally have a collar on him because I don't want to wear out the fur around his neck (because he's a show prospect)
    You might try a round rolled leather collar. I prefer them because they don't mess up the fur like/near as much as flat collars do.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani is offline Senior Member

Anne, he's 9 weeks. I didn't have a problem leash training my other boy, Rider.

Trickster, no, he doesn't make that much of a fuss, he just detests it. I have let him drag it around and it becomes a chew toy obviously. I've tried a nylon slip lead and a regular collar with a leather lead. He'll be starting puppy classes in May so I obviously need for him to get used to a lead (and not to sit down!).

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

LOL. Well you know what they say about show dogs sitting in the ring... I've yet to see a judge excuse a dog for that!!!

He'll be fine... just a baby (he could be going thru a bit of a fear stage right now too so maybe not good to rush). Somehow you'll just have to figure out a way to make it seem like a good idea. The fastest way to my Labs' hearts is thru their tummies!
    -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Soak the entire leash overnight in extra strength bitter apple (not just spray, dunk the whole leash in a bowl), and just leave it on him for an hour or so every day (best to pick a time when you can keep him occupied at the same time, playing a game or doing some training.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

he he he.... Today was Bono's "you actually won't die if on a leash" day too

When I left your house yesturday, I stopped at McDonalds and thought I'd see if the little pupster had to pee before the ride home. Because I was basically in a parking lot, I tossed a slip lead on him, carried him to the grass and set him down. All was well until he felt the leash get tight...then I had a flipping, screaming fish!! Families with little children were driving through the drivethru pointing at me with horrified looks on their faces, so I opted to skip leash training right then and just put him back in the car.

So....today we went outside, slip lead on, ready for fun. Leash got tight and he sat and leaned against it and began to whine. I pulled lightly on the leash and as soon as his back end came off the ground and he went to step forward, I threw a "puppy party" (Woohoo!! Good boy Bono!! Let's go!). At first, he would only take a step or two and then sit back down but then it kicked in. Now he's walking like a champ! Now that doesn't mean we won't have to revisit this lesson tomorrow

Anyway, my rambling can basically be summed up by Just Walk and once he makes a move to come along, make a big deal out of it For what it's worth, he "got it" a lot faster than my girls, lol.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Dani, this was something Henry's breeder suggested to me to get Henry used to having a leash when he was just tiny. Don't laugh but...try a cat leash. Honest. The clip on a regular dog leash is quite heavy. The clip on a cat's isn't. Sometimes, she said, pups don't like the extra weight around their neck.

Could this maybe be why?

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Dani, this was something Henry's breeder suggested to me to get Henry used to having a leash when he was just tiny. Don't laugh but...try a cat leash. Honest. The clip on a regular dog leash is quite heavy. The clip on a cat's isn't. Sometimes, she said, pups don't like the extra weight around their neck.

Could this maybe be why?

I stupidly didn't put a collar on Kassa until she was 10 weeks old. I had the same problem. All the collars were too big so I bought a cat collar and a left small peice of string dangling. Not enought to annoy her, left it on all day and took it off at night. After a couple of days she got used to it, and I put a longer thinner lead until she was o.k. (in many of her baby photos you can see the string.)She never did like heavy collars.

Hope this helps.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast