Teaching come with distraction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching come with distraction

imported_111@@@ is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeaching come with distraction

now i don't have any dog parks close by i have a park but its not fenced so i wanted to know if there were any ways to teach come with distractions from home? my g/f brother has a skateboard and he can go crazy trying to get lola moving while i teach her to come while hes actiong crazy. is there any other way to teach her

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teaching come with distraction

I'm anxious to hear the responses. Thanks for asking this question.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

TimC. is offline Senior Member

You have to start with someplace where there are no distractions, a school, empty parking lot, your yard, a driveway. Figure out what is your dogs currency, what he/she will work for be it food, ball, squeaky toy. Use that to get him/her to come. Once you have that under control introduce distractions.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I am wondering if I can incorporate a whistle into this - with a treat?? With me trying to get weight off Rowan what is a good reliable treat for this - cherrios isn't cutting it.. LOL!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Try a clicker. You can pick one up at most petstores cheap. During training sessions try a jackpot treat like small pieces of hot dog, string cheese, or Snausages. Remember dogs don't have a concept of portion size you could give them something that weighs a half pound or an ounce and all they know is they are getting something.
    Olie

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

You can try a regular whistle to have Rowan come, too. Give it a few quick blasts. Tucker comes really fast with only a whistle.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Make her work for part of her meal. We do that with Gabby- ie, if you know you are going to do a training session, set aside 1/3 of her meal and use that for treats. She'll still be hungry, you know she likes it, and it won't add extra cals.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Teaching her to 'come' in your home around distractions alone won't translate to the outside world. Dogs don't generalise well. So, coming in your home is only good for coming in your home. By all means start the process in your home/yard but you do eventually need to build in some real world distractions.

I would start in your yard. When she has a great recall in the yard, take her to a very quiet area on a long line. Practice as much as you can until the recall is perfected in the quiet area. When she is good with that, take her some place with more distractions. Dogs, people, kids, etc. ALWAYS on the long line to be safe. If you still think she will run off, don't risk taking her out without a long line.

To add to what Trickster has said, do it in gradual stages. Start out getting your dog to stay, go to the end of the leash and then get him/her to come to you. Tie a piece of clothesline to the leash and back up and extra 5ft then 10ft. When you can get them to do it from 50ft get 100ft of clothesline and do it until you get to the end of that.
    This being said I don't think I would ever let Oona play in a park that didn't at least have natural barriers. I guess it would depend on how big the park was and how far away from cars we could get.
    Olie

imported_111@@@ is offline Senior Member

yea thats what i was thinking because her recall in the yeard i would say is about 80%. o yea i would have to use a long line because the park i have is not really fenced off and plus theres like busy streets around. so i was think about buying 30ft or 60ft leash. i do use a clicker when she comes to me i click then treat. do you guys think that wold be good? anymore advice will be helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast