Advice needed - end of walk....UPDATE - IT WAS BETTER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed - end of walk....UPDATE - IT WAS BETTER

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice needed - end of walk....UPDATE - IT WAS BETTER

The last two days when Rowan and I have been out walking..... she doesn't appear to listen to me (when on leash).. she is in her own little world.... how do I get her attention AGAIN??? We are just going for short walks and I haven't gotten her prong collar fitted for her yet so she is on a flat collar/harness and retractable leash.......

THE bigger problem is when we are heading back after our walk - she gets puppy crazed and wild and put the leash in her mouth... and JUMPS all over me....... her nails dig into my legs and it bloody well hurts... I put my knee up today and gave a firm "NO.. jump"... but she is like she is another planet....she does the growl thing... like she is wrestling with the leash... I would like to let her off.. but wonder if she will return... so I haven't tried that.... WHEN I GOT HER ON THE DECK.. in a confined space... I told her to SIT, then looked her in the eye and said NO JUMP and she settled right down and let me take off her harness etc.
    Any suggestions???
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advice needed - end of walk....

For starters I hate retractable leashes, they reward your dog for pulling, which is exactly what you don't want your dog doing. I would recommend getting a 6ft leather leash it will be easier on your hands than a nylon leash. When Rowan is in the middle of a tantrum get her to sit down THERE. By waiting until you get home she learned that she would get what she wants as long as she pitched a big enough fuss. Get her to sit down at your side and then resume the walk. She will probably throw the tantrum again, because it has worked in the past. Get her to sit in a heel position until she stops misbehaving. And until you feel like you have a reliable recall I would never let this dog off leash unless I was in an enclosed space.
    Olie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Possibly it's that she needs more exercise and doesn't want the walk to end so soon. Walks don't really gve that much vigorous physical exercise.

To test this out, you might might give her the recommended "5 minutes of daily vigorous exercise for each month of age" beforeyou take your walk. I like fetching offleash as a preferred vigorous exercise.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It has been a VERY long cold winter here.. and we have had TONS of snow which have made it difficult for decent, regular walks. Rowan does not throw the tantrum on the walk... it is as we are entering our yard OFF the trail when we return. When I am walking her on the street I make her heel using a 6 ft leash... when we go on the trail I use the retractable so she can sniff and explore.

Rowan has been spayed ( a week ago) and although the snow is melting and the temperatures are better my vet has told me to keep her exercise limited FOR 2 Weeks. I do believe, this is what she is telling me .. that she doesn't the walk to end..... BUT.... in life we don't always get what we want and I am trying to figure out ways to CONTROL this behaviour... kwim??

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

In general (I know that this isn't possible because of the spay right now), it sounds like Rowan needs a lot more exercise and another obedience class.

A properly fitted prong will help, but is not a behavior solution. Furthermore, I would put the retractable leash on hold until her behavior is almost absolutely consistent. From the other things you've posted about her behavior - getting over excited about other dogs, kids, etc- I don't think she's there yet.

Do you walk the same route every day? If she can predict the end of the walk, she predict when/where to throw a fit. Also, varying the walk is more mentally tiring for her. Try walking a different direction, a different loop, coming home in through the front, etc.

How do you handle the fit? Do you ignore it? Yell "Rowan, off" and get upset? What I would do is have a squeaky toy or treats in my pocket and when I saw ANY impending signs of a fit or actually probably before it, I would begin obedience practice. use the treats or squeaky toy and make it very happy. She'll forget about the fit.

Also, try giving her a treat if she gets in the house without throwing a fit. When gabby was on rest, she started "stalling" to be outside more. Fine sometimes, but sometimes I just need her to pee and come back in. So occasionally, I give her a treat when she gets inside- so she always pees when I tell and then comes in when I ask in case there might be a treat. Make sense? If Rowan thinks there could be a treat inside, why pitch a fit outside?

Prevention is a lot easier than dealing with when it occurs
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Yes, IKWYM ---Since you have another week to go, you might try mental games at home -- those sometimes "wear out" a Lab enough.

For instance, I sometimes hide a number of Puff's Training Dummies (AKA "bumpers") around the house in easy to find places and then send her out to find them. She finds one, brings it to me, and then repeats that over and over for the rest. If you don't have TDs, then toys, baseballs, or tennis balls would work.

After she's learned the rules of the game, I hide them in progressively more difficult places. She doesn't run but it does keep her quite intense and serves the purpose.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

When I take Rowan just 'out to' pee on the leash - she is good... does her business and comes in without any difficulty.

Just a reminder - Rowan is only 8.5 months old - I know she has a lot of learning to do yet. I do have treats in my pocket when I am out with her unfortunately the cherrios don't work that well and I have moved away from her dog biscuits as she has to get weight off - it is trying to get her calm to 'realize' that I have something more 'inticing' than the leash.

Unfortunately, where I live ( so far north) there isn't the greatest avenue of obedience class. I was very disappointed with the first one she was in.

Deep down, I know a lot of Rowan's issues are from lack of exercise. No, when she is starting to throw her fit - I just stand there and let her go to it with a firm "NO" unless she is hurting me then of course I am reacting a little differently but for the most part I just stand there and let her "DO HER THING" then she exhausts and stops.

I think it is the leash/rope thing cause I have her on a 30ft leash/rope in the back yard playing fetch and she does the same thing with the rope in mouth even when I am not holding onto it...........

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl

Just a reminder - Rowan is only 8.5 months old - I know she has a lot of learning to do yet. I do have treats in my pocket when I am out with her unfortunately the cherrios don't work that well and I have moved away from her dog biscuits as she has to get weight off - it is trying to get her calm to 'realize' that I have something more 'inticing' than the leash.
    Yeah, Rowan is the same age pretty much as Gabby and Tal.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

DefaultRe: Advice needed - end of walk....UPDATE - IT WAS BETTER

I just took Rowan for a 20 minute walk on the trail using our 6ft leash and I fitted her prong collar. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I only had to correct her a couple of times on 'heel' and she walked nicely. She was torpedoing through the snow at the end of the walk and attempted to pull her usual 'wild antics' and when she started a gave her a tug on the leash.. and said NO! And she obeyed and game into the yard.

Thanks for the tips - I think if I get her out on the trials during more quiet times and work on her training she will be more prepared to deal with distractions when the times arise.. kwim??

I was wondering Gabbysmom - do you have children??

DefaultRe: Advice needed - end of walk....UPDATE - IT WAS BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl

I was wondering Gabbysmom - do you have children??
    Uh, no. Why?

I'm 23 and a full-time law student.

I used to work for a vet before this "law stuff" and did a lot of horse training (mainly retraining of ex-racehorses for second careers and then selling them)- so I'm very interested in behavior modification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast