16w puppy still not housebroken...did I miss the boat!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16w puppy still not housebroken...did I miss the boat!?

sandrak131 is offline Junior Member

Default16w puppy still not housebroken...did I miss the boat!?

We are really really trying. She isnt have accidents in her crate anymore for the past week, but 2 times we have caught her doing #2 (once we were able to stop her and the other time we caught her in the middle). I am just wondering how long its gonna be befor I can have the puppy out with us in the living room without having to worry if shes gonna pee or poo somewhere. I just feel like we are not doing something right. Did I miss the boat on housetraining her and she will forever have accidents? Forgive me, this is our first family pet.
    Sandra<br />Nittany&#039;s mommy<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 16w puppy still not housebroken...did I miss the boat!?

No, you didn't miss the boat.

I find it best to bring pups outside around a half hour after they eat. Once they "do their business" praise them like you witnessed a miracle. I do regular trips outside for them to urinate too. Eventually you can get a feel for their body language and if you suspect they might have to go, usually wandering around and sniffing, bring the pup outside. I use the command "potty outside"(don't ask ) My girls know that means to go out to do their business. Praise ,praise praise! There is nothing more your pup wants to do, than make you happy. Pups just don't know what it is. Praise let's them know you're happy.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Binasmom is offline Junior Member

There is always hope. You just have to stay on top of it constantly until she learns. Usually you have to take them out every 15 mins. If he goes immediately - praise him - but don't take him in right away. Always give the dog an extra 5-10 minutes to make sure they are finished. Gradually increase the time between potty breaks until doggie has no more accidents. Also - be aware of feeding times - they usually have to go within 30 minutes after eating - and if the dog has unlimited access to water - you have to take them out soon after they drink. My dogs were trained very late and never have accidents anymore. Only my beagle mix has peeing accidents because she is old and has bladder problems.
    IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/PIsces040/dogs020.jpg[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

sandrak131 --

It is hard for me to give you good advice without knowing exactly what you have been doing up to this point. From what I can gather, your puppy was pottying in her crate, and she has been pottying in the house frequently.

I would be glad to try to guide you along, at least with what worked for us, but I need to know exactly what you have been doing up until this point, in order to be able to give good advice. A question right off the bat, though, would be -- how big is your pup's crate? Most pups don't want to potty in the crate, but if the crate is too big, and they can potty in one part and then lay in another part, they will sometimes do it if they HAVE to, apparently.

Steve

kassabella is offline Senior Member

No you didn't miss the boat.

You have been given great advice. Kassa took forever to potty train. Hang in there and give lots of praise and soon it will all fall into place.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Housetraining - what's your present feeding and exercise schedule?

Housebreaking can take varying amounts of time -some learn it in days, others longer.

Patience, CONSTANT supervision (and crating when that's not possible) and a strict consistent schedule will get you there.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Exactly where is she having accidents in the house?
    When you clean up the accident are you finishing the job with something like Nature's Miracle?
    Olie

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan had an accident in the house the other night - for the first time in months. I think I was playing with her.. went up to the bathroom and ds didn't get her 'cue' of licking.. hence she went. :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

sandrak131 is offline Junior Member

She hasnt really had too many accidents in the house anymore. She was peeing in her plastic like crate and we switched to the metal wire crate and so far no accidents. She doesn't get water past 7pm, eats first thing in the morning when my dh gets up (5am) and than gets let out right after eating and than again when I leave iwth my baby for work (6am)...at 12pm the dog walker comes and takes her for a nice long walk and/or plays ball with her for a while than dh gets home around 4pm. We are going on day 7 without any accidents so far....Im praying this keeps up. I just can't wait till we can have her out in the living room with the family without having to constantly worry all the time...its very hard with a baby/toddler running around everywhere lol.
    Sandra<br />Nittany&#039;s mommy<br />

regarese is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandrak131
    She hasnt really had too many accidents in the house anymore. She was peeing in her plastic like crate and we switched to the metal wire crate and so far no accidents. She doesn't get water past 7pm, eats first thing in the morning when my dh gets up (5am) and than gets let out right after eating and than again when I leave iwth my baby for work (6am)...at 12pm the dog walker comes and takes her for a nice long walk and/or plays ball with her for a while than dh gets home around 4pm. We are going on day 7 without any accidents so far....Im praying this keeps up. I just can't wait till we can have her out in the living room with the family without having to constantly worry all the time...its very hard with a baby/toddler running around everywhere lol.
    This is pretty close to our situation too. Puppy is just a few days shy of 16 weeks and our daughter is 17 months. My question is how old should the puppy be when we try to let her off the leash in the family room. Right now when we bring her in there we keep her on a leash that is attached to the leg of our table so that she is not chewing on all the baby toys or running through the house peeing somewhere before we catch her. She's getting better at letting us know when she has to go, or we're getting better at recognizing her tell, but when should we give her a shot at no leash in the family room? I'm already considering moving the baby's toys and just letting her bring a few in when the dog isn't in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast