Should I get this puppy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get this puppy?

Heffer Wolfe is offline Junior Member

DefaultShould I get this puppy?

I just got back from checking out a 3 month old pup who in all probability grow up to be as beautiful as the dark yellow lab you can see here (with the addition of a wide orange stripe running down its back). Here's a picture I took of the lab with the breeder's daughter helpfully keeping it posed while I worked the camera:

Other pictures of the pup can be seen here, here, and here.

This was also the biggest pup in the entire litter which I should mention is an entirely boisterous group composed of two males and one female. Everything's great with this one, the seller bragged about the champion lines in his ancestry outlined in his registration papers. You'll have to trust me when I say he's gorgeous, really (the entire litter and their cage took a quick hosing down in preparation for my visit) and I'm willing to forgo the cream color and short haired lab I was hoping for except there were a lot of red flags with the breeder. Another consideration is his prominent tummy. He's bigger than his siblings in terms of height and build but the tummy worries me. I saw his med certificate he's already got his complete shits and has been dewormed.

His scraggly appearance is due to the fact that cage they're in has been hosed down a bit by the breeder to clean the surroundings and that he's only been fed two times a day. This is probably moot but what do you think?
    "Labradors [are] lousy watchdogs.  They usually bark when there is a stranger about, but it is an expression of unmitigated joy at the chance to meet somebody new, not a warning."  ~ Norman Strung

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Should I get this puppy?

The "champions" are they far back in the ancestry? unless his parents and grandparents and great-grandparents contain champions that's no selling point at all and should be ignored.

Have the parents been properly cleared (hips, elbows, heart, eyes)?

short haired lab? I am not at all involved with conformation but...labs have short hair as a general rule don't they?

What shade are the parents? Why do you believe he will get as dark as the pup in the photo? yes coat can change shades quite abit over the years but it seems like you really want a darker pup?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

he's already got his complete shits
    Sorry, that's a funny typo. ;D

Seriously, it sounds like he's been raised in a kennel run? Although its certainly possible to get a nice puppy that was raised that way, it would be much preferable to find a breeder who raises the litter in the house, exposing them to ordinary household activities, noises and people.

Here are a couple checklists to see if you have found a good breeder:

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/breeders.html

http://dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

http://dogplay.com/GettingDog/breedercomparison.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chrissy is offline Member

I just got our pup 4 weeks ago.
    I can tell you some of the things our breeder "offered up" as proof of being a good breeder.
    I can also say that I had NO DOUBTS. If you have doubts...there will be other breeders and pups.

Here was my experience:
    -The parents were both there to see in person. Running free. Came to see us. Friendly and happy looking.
    - 2 year health guarantee
    -Parents had all clearances (eyes, hips, ...) and documentation certificate proof.
    -Pups were raised indoors and not caged. She showed us the area. It was a room (like an enclosed porch) directly attached to the home. We saw the whelping box in this room as well. You had to go through this room to get into the main house. The parents/other dogs came in and out of the house freely.
    -The pups were just outside the house (room) in a free standing caged big area because it was a really nice day to be out playing and soaking up some rays. By just outside I mean about 10 ft. from the door.
    -Also showed us the dog runs for the big dogs. It was all tidy and clean as was possible. Pups do mess but to be "hosed down" while all in the cage is strange to me. Red flag to me.
    -Pups were very family raised and had been exposed to many family friends. Lots of holding and such.
    -Breeder only breeds 1 to 2 at most times a year per female. She had 2 females.
    -Breeder provided so much information. Most of it unasked. She was open and up front about all health issues. For example good instead of excellent eyes certificates.
    -She has a very long pedigree chart for each parent.
    -Although the pups had first shots and many dewormings...ours still had round worms at first vet check...common.
    -I felt VERY comfortable with her and would not hesitate to reccomend her to (and have) everyone who asks where we got our pup.
    -I researched breeders in our area. We drove 1 1/2 hours away to this breeder. The pup was not cheap. Most often you get what you pay for. I am not saying if you spend $300-500 for a pup it will be bad but...in my experience you usually get what you pay for. This is true in clothes, shoes, ... Pay now or pay much more later in vet bills is my belief.
    -The breeder called just to see how things were going 2 times since we have had Belle (our pup). She has been awesome. When Belle had a shots reaction she called back to check yet again and offer advice and her insights.
    -She believes her dogs are worth the extra money. She really puts an effort into producing "HEALTHY" pups she says.
    -She even has a female that she will not breed because it did not pass her "healthy" requirements (fair eyes I think it was what she said...just a family pet now- was pick of litter for breeding to her male).

I hope this helps you.
    Take your time. Take your TIME. This is a long term commitment. You do not want health or behavior issues.
    Hopefully, you will have this dog for it's full life span.

******PS- MOST importantly...we felt like WE were being interviewed and watched closely for our reactions to the pups as well as all the other dogs. This breeder really cared about who was adopting her pups. We asked her "Can we get her?" after an hour. She was not pushy in the least.

<br />Belle at 4 months

Dani is offline Senior Member

I honestly haven't seen a pup with that pointy of a head in a long time...seems very suspect to me.

I'd recommend looking elsewhere.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

I agree with Dani. I am certainly no expert, but that pup doesn't look very healthy or fully labbish to me. Not that you shouldn't adopt him, but I would ask lots of questions.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Everything's great with this one, the seller bragged about the champion lines in his ancestry outlined in his registration papers.
    Bragging about champion lines is one thing, producing actual evidence of those lines is another. For example, back yard breeders can brag on champion lines but they could be 5 generations back. A good breeder should be able to tell you everything about the dogs in your puppies pedigree. Also, "champion lines" only really holds merit if the parents, grandparents, etc., are titled. When the titles are in the 4th/5th generation those dogs don't hold much influence over your puppy.

only been fed two times a day.
    This doesn't seem frequent enough for a growing pup. Puppies should be fed 3-4 times a day.

I also agree with the others that he doesn't look full Lab. Maybe it is the pictures or just poor breeding, but his head looks a bit hound-like.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about the pups being "hosed" as much as other things- like the head issue and the fact that it actually doesn't look like a full lab. Puppies get into gross stuff and walk in their poop and food- a wipe/rinse isn't a big deal for me.

Other issues are though. I'd look else where.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Is his head as pointy as it appears in the pics? He does look awfully thin to me. Pups that age really should be fed 3 times a day. He is a cutie though. Do you have a link to the breeders site that we can look at?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I took another look at the picture. I'm not really sure= your picture is very, very difficult to actually see anything in- but if the stomach is as distended as it appears in the pic, I'd be concerned.

This is a belly shot of mine at 8 weeks:

And her standing:

She was a big girl at ten pounds. It shouldn't be hugely out of proportion - nothing that makes you go, wow, is there something freakishly wrong with this puppy?
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast