Puppy Dandruff?

Thread: Puppy Dandruff?

Chrissy is offline Member

DefaultPuppy Dandruff?

My puppy has the worst white little flakes all the time.
    I do not give her frequent baths. Last one was 2 weeks ago (after an accident in her cage-YUCK!).
    She has had this for about 3 weeks now.
    Next puppy appt. at vet is later this week but...
    Anyone know anything I can do to get rid of it?
    BTW- She is eatting Innova Large Breed Puppy if you think that may have something to do with it.
    Thanks for the advice
    <br />Belle at 4 months

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DFWLab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Dandruff?

Mine went through a phase with that. Are you someplace cold still where you have heater running?

i asked the vet same thing, and their first question was if i was running the heater, since that can cause it sometimes. obviously there can be several reasons though.

We have the furnace still on here.
    I put the humidfiers away because we had some 70+ days. Then it got cold again. Maybe... :-\

Could it be her food?
    <br />Belle at 4 months

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My vote would be for the non-humidified air plus, if you used a shampoo for human (either babies or adults) that can cause dandruff since human skin is much more acidic than dog skin so shampoos for peeps irritates dog skin.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Seattlemom is offline Senior Member

Also, you have a black dog and it is much easier to see normal dander on a black dog -- especially if you are brushing often!
    Erin &amp; Toby<br />

LKG
    LKG is offline Senior Member

One thing my vet mentioned was that as puppies are growing so much, often their skin/coat is the last place that the nutrients/energy goes if they are going through a big growth spurt and need to use the energy elsewhere. Don't know if this applies here or not.

I also found that a humidifier helped alot with dry skin (mine and the pups)! I also add a fish oil to Daisy's food in the mornings which seems to have helped the condition of her coat and possibly her dandruff as well. Just a few thoughts...
    <br /><br />Daisy / June 13, 2006

Gotta Granddogger is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Dandruff--winter shedding?

I'll be watching this line. Our dog also has bad dandruff-I was tempted to try MY Selsun Blue, since doggy shampoo didn't help. He hasn't had a bath for a while, so that isn't a factor. Brushing just seems to make it worse. Do labs shed that thick coat after the winter, or will it be this dense all the time? How often should I bathe him?

I also noticed that my puppy has been shedding a lot of the "under coat" when I use the slicker brush. It is the "kinky fine" looking hair. She is getting in a coarser type hair on top as well.
    I am going to ask the vet at her next well puppy appointment. on Monday but I am sure it must be as most have you have mentioned...dry air.
    Also, maybe it has something to do with the shedding of the puppy hair and her fast growth. It seems to me the skin stretching fast might cause it to be more dry and prone to flaking.
    She is getting so big!!!!!
    <br />Belle at 4 months