Breeder Agreement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeder Agreement

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultBreeder Agreement

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and have spent days going through the threads, what a great site! I will be picking up my chocolate lab in the middle of June. I do have a questions...in my breeder's agreement it states that I cannot get my dog neutered for 18 mths. What are your thoughts? I initially wanted a female but after seeing the mother she is quite small and quite short (min standard breed) so I opted to go with the male as I wanted the bigger dog. I know about the health risks and the marking but he assures me that they are all training issues. comments please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Breeder Agreement

That sounds strange to me, but I am sure that particular breeder has his reasons.

I think one way to look at it is, they are his pups; he can stipulate whatever he wants. On the other hand, you are also free to select a different breeder with different stipulations. Would this be an option for you?

Steve

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think Labby on the board has a similar contract for her puppy buyers?

Or maybe I am just imagining that. You might want to PM her if she doesn't see this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

The reason the breeder doesn't want you to neuter until 18 months is because he/she wants the dog to reach full maturity before you remove his testosterone factory. Whether it's true or not I don't know but some believe that if a dog is neutered before 18 months the dog will lack the muscle mass associated with a male.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are getting a decent dog from a breeder who is current on stuff. While I don't personally agree with this philosophy, there is MERIT in waiting for that age to neuter. You will need to be diligent in training and keeping him from escaping until you are able to neuter him. Having an intact dog is a big responsibility.

Please remember that labs in general are not large breed dogs. They are medium sized dogs if bred properly.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Nala Daddy is offline Senior Member

I am not sure about 18 months but my vet told me that she would not spay Nala till she was about 6 months of age because she said it can change a young puppies temperment. Whether this is true or not I am not sure but your breeder may be thinking the same thing just waiting for your dog to completely mature.
    Kyle

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

If it's in the contract, be sure to follow it. If the breeder took the time to write the contract, they likely will take the time to enforce the contract.

Clear up any negotiations/questions/issues before signing and taking the puppy home
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, it is that the Breeder wants the dog to reach maturity ( he feels the dogs do not look the same if neutured early) may or may not be true but that is how he feels and what is in the agreement. I do not want to select another breeder he is the best as far as I can tell from checking many of his references. I have also already paid the deposit. I understand that labs are medium size dogs, my whole family has labs but the mother is the smallest lab that I have ever seen and I do not want to chance it. Who knows maybe the male would be short as well but not as short as the female.

My question really is for those of you that have intact males, how hard was it for you to train your dog and is it or has it caused many issues for you?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake wasn't neutered until 12 months - I felt that was long enough and wanted him to go to dog daycare where I was working (vet/kennel/daycare facility). We had no problems with marking, he marks more now than before he lost his beans. So long as you begin basic obedience early I really don't think you'll have many problems. You do have a fenced yard correct?

If I had the luxury of working at home or always being with Jake I might've waited until two years, but I feel that for his mental health (getting out of the house and playing all day) we neutered at the best time

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

we had our boy neutered at 16 mos. our breeder's contract stipulated waiting at least 12 mos and in talking to her she suggested waiting closer to 18 mos if possible, to allow him to mature fully. i trusted that she knew her dogs best and i'm glad we waited.

during the time he was intact, the only issue i could think of was he was VERY interested in females in heat (duh!) so you must must must be very careful and diligent that he does not get loose and roam.

no other issues cropped up for us, no difficulty training etc. no difference in temperament. we had a few marking episodes IN the house, but i've come to learn that that is more a behavioral issue not hormonal and this was corrected right away!

good luck!

<br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast