question about recall...

Thread: question about recall...

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Defaultquestion about recall...

Molly has doesn't have a very good recall at all. The bulk of this falls on me for not being consistent when we began training the command, but I've made up my mind to give this my all and get Molly to come every time not just 8 out of 10 and the other two I have to reel her in on the line or go get her and bring her to me.

My question would be, since a lot of the time it's just me and her and I have her on the long line what is the best way to get her to move away from me? If we're outside she wants to be right with me watching my every move.

Usually I toss a toy or treat about 5 feet from me then I get down to her level and say "Molly, come!!!" As soon as she gets to me I praise her with click/ "gooood come, molly goooood come" and a special treat plus lots of hugs, kisses and belly rubs.

Is there a better way to approach this situation? Should I just wait until she wanders away from me? Could I put her in a sit/down stay? She does an awesome stay, but I want our main focus to be on recall.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: question about recall...

I'm sure there are a variety of valid methods. You might take a look at Donaldson's "Culture Clash" and see what she recommends.

What I did with Puff was to teach a variety of commands all about the same time --
    sit, down, stand, stay, go (point), back (back up), come, etc.

I'd put Puff in a sit-stay at a distance and then give her a come command. We'd do this at home or while walking trails in the nature preserve. There I could have her sit-stay while I walked on ahead and then give her the come command.

When it was at home, I could either give her a go (point) or back (back up) command to create some distance and then say "Puff -- come!" (or "Puff -- sit!") etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: question about recall...

Thanks Bob I'll have to try that since Molly knows back (back up) and go (...run ahead).

We worked for about 30 minutes today on our basics including come and did pretty well. Hopefully we'll get back out again tomorrow 2 times instead of 1
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)