New Puppy Vet Costs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy Vet Costs

dezicartel is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Puppy Vet Costs

Hello All,

First I would like to thank you all for your wonderful advice, Ive read almost every topic inside and out, and Im picking up my new pup tomorrow!

I did have one question though:

What can I expect for typical vet costs for my lab. I live in San Jose, Ca

I knowthere is the initial checkup within 72 hours of bringin the pup home, and then finishing the shot/ deworming cycles. From then on, I believe its only once a year for an annual checkup.

So basically I am wondering how much can i expcet to pay for each of those cycles...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Puppy Vet Costs

No one can really answer this for you. The price of check ups, Frontline, worming tablets, etc., will differ from vet to vet.

The best thing you can do is keep your pup fit and healthy to avoid vet visits.

We have been lucky so far this year...no vet visits and hopefully it will stay that way.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Trickster said.

Not only does it vary from vet to vet, but it varies greatly between cities. Maybe someone from your neck of the woods is on the board and could give you an idea of what they have experienced.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

UC-Davis has a very good Vet School. They're about 110 miles away from you.

Some vet schools/colleges price their services MUCH lower than many area vets in order to get the needed variety of clients for teaching purposes. But some have prices approximately the same or (rarely) even higher.

I drive 120 miles (roundtrip) for all of my Puff's vet services at KSU-CVM-TH. They have the latest diagnostic equipment, higher quality diagnostic and treatment skills, & lower prices (in KS).

UC-Davis is one of the CVM-THs that allow clients to directly self-refer their pet rather than have to be referred by a vet.

You might bear this is mind.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    From then on, I believe its only once a year for an annual checkup.
    ...if only ;D

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Oh and the best way to determine costs are to call up a vet (hopefully one that's been recommended to you) and get the price. Usually they'll have something called a puppy package that will include all of the puppy's shots. Don't forget to factor in spaying/neutering, too.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Ugh, you're delusional if you think it's a once a year vet visit. I have had Gabby nine months and have spent 1000 dollars on everything from puppy shots to frontline and heartgard to spaying to urinary tract infections.

This is my third lab- and it was never a once a year vet visit. We live in Saint Louis btw- and that's cheaper than CA, obviously.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Trickster is offline Senior Member

From then on, I believe its only once a year for an annual checkup.

...if only
    Good point. LOL

I agree -- thinking you can get away with one vet visit a year is a little optimistic. Even very healthy dogs can catch sickness bugs, etc., just like a very healthy human can.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Let's see...I dropped $1000 on my two adults just in the past 2 weeks and they are healthy. Ear infection for Essy, OFA xrays for Essy, blood/urine/Valley Fever tests for Murray, blood and valley Fever tests for Essy.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi is a pretty darn healthy pup, if I do say myself -m She is 14 months old and I just counted back in the last year she has seen the vet 7 times. Between shots, spay, one uti and one ear infection. NOt to mention the medicine to fix the problems, flea meds. fish cap.s for her skin, cranberry caps. for the uti's- glucosimine just because, food, treats etc. it adds up and never stops ;D-oh yeah just had to add, they are worth every penny and more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast