Seperation anxiety... Help

Thread: Seperation anxiety... Help

summerluv is offline Senior Member

DefaultSeperation anxiety... Help

Someone on another board is having a problem with her chocolate lab, any advice? Here is what she wrote.....

I have an issue with my 1yr old chocolate lab. Mya is a wonderful, playful puppy and I adore her but we have a HUGE problem when we go out. When ever I leave her home alone even for 15mins I come home and she has destroyed something of mine. She has chewed up 6 different headsets, a mouse, my shoes, my clothes etc. She rarely eats anything of my children's and never anything of my husbands. And the thing is she only does it when I leave her home. I leave her toys around, bones, rawhides etc. Anything I think she will chew on I put away before I go out. We can't crate her because she absolutely freaks out, she chewed her way out of a metal crate numerous times and if I put her in a room she tries to dig her way out. She has dug holes in the carpet when she accidentally got closed in a bedroom while napping and pulled tile off the floor when I went out to mow the lawn. I am at a loss on what to do. If anyone has any ideas please, please let me know. She is an angel otherwise.
    [center]<br />Proud mommy to Summer! 3 y/o yellow lab

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Separation anxiety... Help

"I'll Be Home Soon!
    How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety"

Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.

This booklet explains the difference between dogs who truly have separation anxiety and those that merely misbehave and then describes a behavior modification program for the prevention and treatment of both problems. A treasure chest of ideas for keeping your dog happy in your absence, this booklet can help prevent and treat both minor and severe behavioral problems related to dogs being "home alone." Clear and understandable, this easy to read booklet is written for anyone who wants to leave the house knowing that their dog is happy and their house is safe.

"This little booklet saved both my life and the life of my Weimaraner, Misty. Misty's separation anxiety was so serious that she went through a glass window, badly lacerating herself in the process." - Sharon Stern and Misty the Weimaraner

Available from http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com

It gives the standard protocol to overcome SA.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748