Woo Hoo!! Prong collar is awesome.

Thread: Woo Hoo!! Prong collar is awesome.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWoo Hoo!! Prong collar is awesome.

Wow! What a great day. I had a private trainer come this morning to help me get our 4 month old lab to learn to walk on the leash without pulling, which always resulted in choking, gagging, etc. We were never able to make it past our next door neighbor's house! I would get frustrated, and hated to know she was choking like that. So. The trainer comes today, and, as I was prepared for, used a prong collar. I was a little nervous about it, I have to admit. It looks so barbaric. But! It worked like a charm! She didn't cry at all, it didn't hurt her, and she walked around the ENTIRE block! All of this was new to her......the new smells, the people we passed, the other dogs, the street, everything. She did great!! I couldn't believe it. That's the longest walk she has EVER taken. She was so pooped when we got home. I'm so glad I had the trainer come and teach me how to use this prong collar. Now we can go for daily walks and finally get out of the backyard!! Yey!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

regarese is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Woo Hoo!! Prong collar is awesome.

That's fantastic!! Our puppy is 3 months old and right now we're using a toy and treats to get her to walk well on the leash. She is doing well with that. My husband was looking at the prong collars, just in case we wanted to go that route. Good to hear your happy with the results!!

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

well good for you! i love the prong collar. believe it or not its safer that choke chains because thats exactly what they do, choke! but the prong collars, when used properly, can be very very effective. once your dog gets to understand where he should be (according to your desired distance between you and your dog or right next to your hip) he should be able to do fine without it. Just takes time, consistency and patience. Good luck!!
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

The prong collar is a great device. I always start out training without one, however I usually end up using the prong. It was good to get the advice of a trainer..... Fitting the prong and how to use it is the key to success.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.