Agility class

Thread: Agility class

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility class

Hi all, my gus finished his level 1 obedience on thursday nite and we are starting agility this thursday coming up. What can i expect in agility class, he is a very smart good puppy but he is still a puppy... he is 6 months old, is he too young for it?
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dayna is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility class

As long as the class is only an introduction to equipment, such as tunnels, a puppy sized dog walk and A-Frame, pause box, and weaves. At six months of age you should NOT be doing any jumps. You should not let a Lab jump until they are fully grown, which will be between 18 months and 2 years. I always advise that you then get there hips and elbow x-ray to make sure there is no problems before you start jumping them.

I know that if you bought this dog to do agility it came be difficult to wait, but for the health of your dog it is best. While waiting for my dogs to get old enough for agility, I do obedience and rally. I do go ahead and teach weave poles and get them used to the other equipment.

Good Luck and most of all have fun.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

No weaves either, please.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dayna is offline Senior Member

Why no weaves if you are only teaching the basics of weaving in and out?

I do not mean trying to teach speed, which the cutting back and forth could injury the elbows, but just the basic concept of weaves.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Too hard on the spine for a growing puppy, just as the jumps are too hard on growing joints.

Wait till at least a year or a year and a half before beginning weaving...

There's lots you can do that is low impact - shadow handling, distance work, right or left get outs, targetting, and so on. Susan Garrett's book, Shaping Success and Brad Derritt's "Agility Foundations" video are great training guides.

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info, i am doing it just for fun and the instructor said there will be no jumping, it is an intro class, i have never seen or done anything like it so i'm excited and i think it will be fun Gus and me time. ;D
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown