Puppy drinking ALOT of water

Thread: Puppy drinking ALOT of water

2labs2crazy is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy drinking ALOT of water

My 4 month old puppy is drinking an excessive amount of water. She just had a urinary track infection and just finished her meds. I feel bad about taking her water away but its gotta stop. Shea always looking for it. She`s almost housebroken but still has accidents cause she drinks so much water. We just

got her 2 weeks ago. Any suggestions would be a great help, thank you.

Greg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy drinking ALOT of water

Greg --

I'm not a vet, so I'm not sure -- but I know with cats, they often get UTIs when the DON'T drink enough water. If I'm not mistaken, drinking lots of water is a GOOD think, as far as keeping the urinary tract healthy. I would certainly make a call to the vet to see if this is normal or might indicate a problem. But, are you sure the drinking is "excessive"? My lab, also 4 months old, drinks alot -- especially outside. Any water she finds outside (dew on the grass, puddles, whatever) she drinks obsessively. I don't worry about it -- I figure she knows how much she needs. If the main problem is getting her housebroken, my question would be -- have you crate-trained Shea?

Steve

Yes Bailey is crated. We have a 2 year old yellow also and I thought because of all the playing between the two that the excessive water drinking was normal. But the two have settled down since and Bailey will park herself infront of the water dish and drink drink drink. Then go out every 15 minutes, and if I wait for some reason she has an accident. We also have a 5 month old son Jacob, busy people we are. Like I said Bailey is 4 months old and we only had her 2 weeks today. She roamed free in her big kennel at the breeders and emptied herself out whenever she wanted, no rules. She really only went to the door 1 time so far, but I am very good about taking her out. No messes in her crate other than her tract infection.

Thanks
    Greg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Greg --

Well, from what you said (now that I understand the situation better), I would call the vet. One other thing, just a guess -- was the medicine given one that would MAKE her have to pee more (a diuretic), maybe as a way of helping to flush the infection? If my wild guess is correct, then maybe it is just a case that she does not quite have all the medicine out of her system (and thus the excessive drinking/peeing is due to the medicine itself...)

Steve

Corbell is offline Junior Member

Not to scare you but just to make sure you know... Just before one of our kitties was diagnosed with diabetes it started to drink excessive amounts of water. It also showed a new and unusual interest in eating human foods especially anything with sugars, i.e., fruits, etc.

Hopefully your pup is just fine but thought you should know. Diabetes does seem more and more common in cats and dogs these days -- wonder if it's something to do with breeding or with petfood.

Corbell

No Steve it was a antibiotic, I think it was called duramox, not sure I threw the bottle away. The vet said nothing about excessive peeing, but did say that excessive water drinking is normal for a urinary tract infection. He gave me a 10 day supply of the antibiotic and Bailey finished it today. Your right though, I`m gonna call the vet tomorrow and see whats going on. My neighbor has 2 short hairs and says the same about his dogs in drinking water, he has to take it away from them or they will drink a 5 gallon bucket. Thanks for the replys

Greg