First Training Class

Thread: First Training Class

Jackie is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst Training Class

Piper and I had our first beginner training class today. There are two other dogs in the class, both older and much calmer than Piper. Piper is turning five months old this weekend, which puts her at the cutoff to be in the regular beginner class instead of the puppy class. The two other dogs are both over a year old.

I spent so much of the class just trying to keep Piper under any kind of control that trying to teach anything just seemed to go out the window. I had even taken her out to play before the class so that she would burn off some energy, but apparently that didn't work. Today we mostly just did some introduction, worked on training the dogs to relate the clicker to meaning good, and worked on "watch me" to get the dog's attention. Piper couldn't care less about clickers or watching me if there's anything else going on. And with some balls on the floor and a small child running around, there is ALWAYS something more interesting going on!

I am exhausted, but I don't think Piper expended even a notable bit of her energy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First Training Class

Don't give up! It will get better. Is Piper food motivated? Did she at least make the connection that click meant treat? When I put Sky in her first class it wasn't a puppy class either and it is a little frustrating when the other dogs are getting it and yours doesn't. I remember literally having to lay down on top of Sky to get her into a down. She could not be lulled down with a treat or the leash - nothing seemed to work. And then one day she just did And now she has one of the best down stays around!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Sharon is right, it WILL get better! I think we all have been there one time or another, when it seems like everyone else seems to have nicely behaved dogs, and our own littl elabbies seem bent on everything else BUT what we are asking of them. Keep at the training at home everyday and it will amaze you with the progress you and Piper make by the classes end.

Good luck!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jackie is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't really say that Piper is "food" motivated, but she is definitely "treat" motivated. Unlike most labs, she will rarely finish off her food for meals and sometimes will skip meals entirely. But she LOVES her treats.

She does not seem to connect the clicker with the treats at all. I'll keep working on that. She does seem to respond to "Piper, watch me" at home, where the distractions are minimized. I'll keep working on this, too.