Clicker training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicker training

imported_111@@@ is offline Senior Member

DefaultClicker training

ok now i've been teaching lola to come with the clicker now the issue i have is when to click. now do i click when i saw come then click as shes moving or come and click when shes about half way over to me or , say come a click when shes gets to me. which one is better

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Clicker training

You click as soon as the dog does what you want them to do. When you say sit, click as soon as the butt hits the ground. IF you are teaching watch me, click as soon as the dog makes eye contact etc. With the come command I would click once she gets to you so she knows that come means front.

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

ok because i've been doing it when i say come and right as she starts moving forward i click then i wait till she get to me when i treat. so i wanna which way is the proper way. so i'll try the way your saying anymore more advice will be helpful

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just remember that the clicker replaces your voice. The idea is that the clicker provides more instantaneous reinforcement. When calling a dog you wouldn't treat and praise when they start coming, but would treat and praise when they got to you. You want your dog to know that come or here (whatever command you choose) means that they come to you, not just leave there spot. So I would click once they got to you and then treat. I am assuming you are still treating after clicking?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

This should answer your questions...

http://www.clickertraining.com/basics/

Katyris - do you have a good website for walking a dog you can post for him as well?

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...01/lltotal.htm

(there are a ton of great articles here, but Melissa's LLW article is my favourite...
    http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...ndex.htm#puppy

thanks everyone. yes i've been treating after i click. so dakk your saying i would say come then when she gets to me i click then treat

That is what I would do because I'd want to make sure they realized the idea of come is to actually get to you. But when I was reading the info. on the clicker site it said to click just for coming in the right direction. I guess you need to decide. I can only tell you what I would do.

Have the 2 of you been in any obedience classes yet?

Eventually, you will click for the finished product (which, for me, is to come and sit in front of me) but in order to get there, you have some intermediary steps.

What dakkerdog is talking about is shaping - taking increments and approximations of what you want, gradually moving towards perfection.

So, for come: Start with the puppy a few feet away. Call her name, and if she takes a step toward you, THEN say come (as she steps toward you), click and treat. Build up to her farther and farther away, saying her name, then when she looks at you, "come", moves toward you 'click' and treat when she gets to you. Delay the click each time until you are waiting till she's right at your feet before c/t.

Hope that makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast