Puppy Labrador arriving today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Labrador arriving today

Karimz is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Labrador arriving today

Hey there, I've been reading along in this forum for advice about how to train and raise up a good puppy lab into an intelligent friend, but I really never got full advice or the steps to take in raising him. I'm getting my new puppy lab today and cant wait to raise him, but I'm really new to this and need your help in this. Feeding him, training him, where to put him to sleep, etc.. Please reply asap, for I dont want it to be too late before I find the right advice. Thank you in advance and good work on the forum

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Labrador arriving today

http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html

http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOG...g1/levels.html

http://www.clickersolutions.com/blog/blog10.htm

The thread "our best advice" in the puppy section

Patricia McConnell's "Other end of the Leash" and "For the Love of a dog"

Pat Miller's "Power of Positive dog Training" and "Positive Perspectives"

Ian Dunbar's "How to teach a new dog Old Tricks

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your new addition. ;D

Feeding: are you getting him from a breeder? if so, your breeder should provide you with a detailed diet sheet of how much/what to feed him. If you are getting him from a rescue, your rescue should do the same. If you are not happy with what the breeder/rescue is feeding him, you can go about switching as long as you do it slowly.

Training: begins from day one. Set rules, boundaries and limitations (Gosh -- did I just say that? call me Miss Cesar Millan!) and sign up for a puppy training class ASAP. Get him used to his collar and leash by having him drag it around. Begin the very simple foundations of obedience training -- try teaching him to 'sit'.

Most importantly, get a crate and USE IT. A crate is the best tool for potty training, hands down. You want to introduce him to the crate from day one. Feed him in there so he associates it as a positive place to be. He will make a big fuss in there the first time but ignore him -- he'll get used to it and you won't regret it for a second.

Read this forum inside out and back to front. Especially the 'Our Best Advice' thread and everything in the Puppy/Training section.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How do I limit his play time? :-\ And well, wanted to ask if i should leave him most of the time in the backyard or let him spend time inside the house, where to put the crate.. etc.. please tell me such basic things I need to know :-[

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

if i should leave him most of the time in the backyard or let him spend time inside the house, where to put the crate..
    Absolutely DO NOT leave him outside unsupervised! Labs are inside dogs and need to be with their people. It's way too dangerous leaving him in the yard, too. Use a crate when you're not home, you can pretty much put it anywhere. Move the crate into your bedroom at night. Where are you getting your puppy from - a breeder? Also, he can't be left alone for more than probably 3 hours at a time in the beginning, he need potty breaks.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How do I limit his play time? And well, wanted to ask if i should leave him most of the time in the backyard or let him spend time inside the house, where to put the crate.. etc.. please tell me such basic things I need to know
    Although puppies do tend to goof around and make trouble, they don't 'play' constructively with themselves. 'Play' is only 'play' if you interact with him. Most people recommend you follow the '5 minute rule' in regards to exercise with a puppy -- that is 5 minutes of exercise per month of age. This is designed to protect the growing joints in the first year of life. So, for your 8 week old puppy that is only 10 minutes of exercise per day. The best type of exercise for a young puppy is a few short play sessions throughtout the day. They don't have a lot of stamina at that age and crash out easily so they should be sleeping lots and playing sporadically. If you want to read more about exercise I made a long post about the subject in the 'Our Best Advice' thread. You might want to check it out.

You must never, EVER leave a puppy unattended alone in the back yard. Labradors are people dogs. They don't enjoy being isolated. This makes them miserable and destructive. Leaving a puppy unattended is a recipe for disaster. Not only could the pup get into all kinds of trouble (escaping under the fence/gate, chewing, digging, eating things, etc.) but dog napping is growing crime. Dogs get stolen from yards ALL the time. I'm sure you don't want that to happen to your puppy so for his own sake, keep him indoors.

You should put the crate in a high area of activity in your house. Puppies like to see what is going on around them. That means if they have to be crated when you are in for whatever reason, they are kept stimulated. The kitchen or living area is a popular choice. Ideally, it should also be near the back door so you can scoop him out quickly to potty in the yard.

Hey lab's here, but he seems to be scared!!! I need help !! He has peed like 3 times now in the kitchen and I dont dare to get him into the rooms! Gonna get him a crate now but I need advice in how to treat him for now! Why is he scared?? Too much activity maybe?? He's tired though thats for sure! I need some tips!

EDIT: Btw, should i let him chew on my hands or should I really be strict with him ?

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

He is probably very tired my Labby slept more than he was awake at first. Get a crate and put him down for a nap. As soon as he wakes up take him out to pee/poop. use a special word or couple words and say it in a soft voice until he starts to go (i use hurry up but do it or go pee or whatever works for you is fine) as soon as he starts to go then praise him until finished and beyond. Plan to take him out every hour or less during the day, and after every meal, for the first few days so he'll learn it. I would not offer water after suppertime until he's trained. Use odor neutralizer like fa breeze or pet fresh to deodorize anywhere he's peed in the house after you clean it up. Make sure you praise praise praise and don't say anything if he has an accident as he won't understand yet "where he is supposed to go" Watch for signs sniffing,circling or whining to go potty but mostly at first just take him out alot so he'll learn it quickly.
    After he goes outside i would bring him in, let him associate outside with potty at first, after he's trained then you can play with him outside it will confuse him right now IMO.
    Also after he goes is the perfect time to hangout and play with him because you know he just went. after 15-30min of play hangout time then take back out to pee, then crate for a nap. and repeat. For the first few days i did this and it only took a very short time to house train. Also i feed in the crate as it helps to get them used to it and go in willingly if they associate it with 'nice' not 'bad'. i found when Gus when really bitey he needed a nap or 'time-out' in crate. To some degree pups need to bite to learn not to bite hard. its called bite inhibition, a puppy that doesn't bite may not learn his own strength and as an adult may bite with serious consequence! When he bites say "AAAAAKKKKK no bite" or something like that and replace your body part or shoe etc. with a toy or something appropriate. Dogs do learn and experience things with their mouth, mouthing is ok for a puppy, so if it doesn't hurt imo its ok, and thats really what we want them to know, bite inhibition. don't scold or slap if he bites then he'll just learn to fear you, if he is really acting like a wild child and doesn't stop even after you've redirected a time or two then put him in his crate for timeout or otherwise ignore him!! ;D good luck and can we see a pic of your wee labby please
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

Thank you really for your help everyone, I think hes calm now and going to bed I'll take some pics tmw for you all hes a lovely little lab! I'll let you know what's happened with him very soon Hope I can sleep through the night though.. can't let him sleep in his crate near me in my room coz im afraid if i let him out he'll ruin my furniture if he potties or pees :-\ Is it ok if he sleeps alone in the kitchen ?

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

I slept on the couch with the crate pulled right up to it when my Gus first came home because if i left the room he cried and cried. Your pup is used to sleeping with his liter mates so it may take a few nights to get used to it. After about 3-4 nights i left my Gus in the lvrm.and slept in my bedroom and he was fine. If he's in your room in his crate,he can't wreck anything,when you let him out to pee just carry him so he can't squat. he won't be able to hold it all night you'll need to let him out at least a couple times i'm sure.
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast